Thursday, May 24, 2007

Crazy Luke Responds

----This discussion all started when I made a comment about guys jumping to ASWF because of being paid there and not being paid at MEWA. It was not a comment made by any other worker – it was just mainly an observation that I was making. I then posted a few comments and “Working for A Living” and now I have received a letter from Luke Graham JR. I thought everyone would find this interesting. And, as usual, with all the major discussions, I will have some comments of my own probably posted Saturday or Sunday.

CRAZY LUKE RESPONDS

I want to clear up a few things here. I don’t write to you often. I don’t fill your head with tales of woe. I don’t ask the MEWA guys to go out and fight my battles for me. There are some clouds in the air and I personally want to make a statement. I am going to ask that you please DO print this... Just so there is no more confusion.

I am gonna agree with Beau on some points. I am another one of the few left that was able to make a meager living out the wrestling business. I am also the only man in the business other than Vince McMahon that has been able to take a wrestling company public ( and if the cards play out, could do it again). That is not meant as bragging, just a simple statement of fact.

Some of the guys around here like me. Some of the guys don’t. Some of you have some heat with me. I have heat with some of you. But, for the most part... I like most of you. At least personally.

I would like to discuss the MEW philosophy, since it IS extremely different from the norm. We tore apart the business plan for a standard professional wrestling event / promotion. We rewrote it. New words / new verses. Some of it may not make sense to everyone. That's okay. It shouldn't. We have never forced it down anyone’s throat. We have never beat anyone up to work here. We have held ourselves to a pretty high standard. Professional Wrestling has been dying for years. A BIG show was considered a show that drew 100 people. Most of the boys were working in front of 25-75 fans. Most were getting paid very little - if any - even if they were promised money upfront. We changed the plan... similar in some respects... different in others. We decided we would build a professional wrestling product... and give them a product they could afford to watch. we found a couple businesses that could see what we were attempting, and understood this was a gift back to the community. We sell advertising. Not that much different than the advertising sold by promoters that the boys never see or get paid when the door is low. Only we show the boys what we have. We were up front. For the first few months, (July - November) I paid everyone out of my pocket. Then circumstances changed, and I could no longer afford to do so. The Advertisers pay the rent and upkeep on the building. We have never lied to the boys. we don’t pay talent to come in if we are not going to pay the guys that have given their blood sweat and tears for the promotion. We don’t hide money. If things change. We tell them.

This is not the Graham Championship Wrestling Show. This is a show where young guys get a chance to hone their craft in a professional and fairly regulated environment. Not everyone likes it, not everyone gets to "do their own thing" or "call their own shots". Not every one gets their way when they want it. Too friggin bad. They will get no apology from me. Grow up! Learn the business.

We can probably pass along most of the complainers, the few. But the backbone of our crew has been with us since we opened the doors. We have asked a couple to leave, and told a couple to leave. We have encouraged some, including Scotty, to go out and ply the wares that they polished here. I am proud of some of these guys... of most of them. Some of them have limited size. Some are green. But they give their guts to the crowd. Johnny Hawk has become one of the better bookers I have had the opportunity to be around . It wasn’t necessarily easy to begin with. He and I had experienced some issues in the past. But now I think we have one of the best relationships a promoter and booker could have. Ask the guys that are still in our dressing room. Ask the guys that are lined up, calling us from all over the country, wanting to come in....

We have been successful drawing the largest weekly attendance of any promotion in the area. Who cares if it is free? People don’t continue to come if the show is not good. We talk little. We wrestle alot. we invite the Ken Waynes and others like him to participate and offer constructive criticism and advise. I don’t make a nickle. Chubby doesn’t make a nickle. We turn every penny and then some back into making sure the show is able to operate every week. I don’t expect a pat on the back. It really doesn’t matter. But what does matter, is that a group of green, inexperienced young professional wrestlers, have built, and continue to draw... the best weekly attended house in 4 states. That has something to do with it being free. It has something to do with the booking. It has something to do with the dedication and commitment of the boys. It has something to do with me keeping the doors open. It is a total of ALL of the effort put in by ALL of the above.

So understand. Some of those that have gone to other promotions... we encouraged. Some we told to just go away from us. Some didn’t like our program. And who can blame some of them for wanting to get a p/o? We p/o them when we can. And don’t lie about why we can or cant. People can bad mouth us... talk about us... run us down... or laugh at us.... But my crew is drawing a better weekly house than some of the superstars are drawing. My crew has helped lay the groundwork for a resurgence in professional wrestling excitement that has benefited every promoter in the State of Arkansas. And they did it out of love and guts.

Don’t be surprised when they (the MEWA boys) defend their investment, or feel betrayed by those that left them. Dont be surprised when they get insulted if they feel slighted. They ARE the boys... green, inexperienced, experienced... whatever.

And to those of you that wrote us off... For those of you that said it could never work... We are still here. One year on July 7th. If our guys get their way... we will be here for a long time. We have the right method and momentum, and the patience to see it thru. We are not greedy. There IS a plan...

To the MEWA family...Thank you from Me, Chubby, and Hawk... Just keep doing what you are doing.

Anyone wants to reach me... http://us.f532.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=crazylukegrahamjr@yahoo.com

Thank you BT...

In Wrestling

Crazy is a state of mind.

Luke Graham Jr.