Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Gene Jackson's Cheap Heat Interview w/ Chris Styles

I recently had the opportunity to interview North Mississippi wrestling star, "The Future" Chris Styles who along with his partners will be heading to CHIKARA Pro Wrestling for a show at the old ECW Arena in Philadelphia in August, here I discuss with the Chris this trip as well as a few other topics of interest.
--------------------------------------------------------------



GJ: So there's a lot of talk about your upcoming show in Philadelphia at the old ECW Arena for Chikara Pro, this is a big opportunity for you guys to be seen in front of an entirely new audience, how did this booking come about?


CS: We had been in the talks with them about myself,Josh,and Shawn going but in Pennysylvania you have to be 18 to work and with Jon (Jonathan Douglas) quiting it was kinda hard to choose who we wanted to go with us..So we thought about it and came up with a third person that we think can hold his own ground and as funny as this may sound we got our booker to get ahold of them and let them know we would be comin..Also be lookin for some of their guys here in the Dirty South....


GJ: This is the chance for a lot of exposure as Chikara dvd's are pretty popular on the internet and amongst the trading communities, not to mention that the shows get aired over in Japan and such. Are you hoping this is the beginning of some more bookings in other areas (especially up north) or just another show to work?


CS: Your right they are a very hot Indy show we love to watch their DVD's and you know me I pray that this is the big step we've all been waiting on and if it's not then I will keep doing what I love every chance I get..But I will say this when we get back we have already booked up the rest of Aug-Sept....So be on the look out for us...IN YOUR TOWN..



GJ: Do you prefer working shows like TFW and GTW where you have more input into the show or do you like going to other places where you only have to worry about going out and working?


CS: There's no place like home but at a show like this where you have no worries except getting the job done is great...The stress at TFW >W are crazy but it's like that at shows you book or help book. But im always up for new crowds cause they seem to hate you more or love you more...



GJ: You've been the victim of a LOT of flack on the message boards lately for being the booker of GTW in West Point, how do you feel about all the criticism? Do you think it's justified or just jealousy?


CS: I'm glad you asked I would love for any of them to try and start a show where noone has ever ran before plus find workers that aren't already booked..Yeah I use to spend alot of time out there and so did some others but it's because we don't care to bust our asses noone says anything when I work 5 times for Kenny or when they're bookin the show...But I leave you with this if you dont like the way I do things feel free to talk to me and I will hand you the books on my best day and I bet you money that says I find another show and stomp that ass cause everything you see isnt everything you could get who knows what I have lined up...P.S. I DONT READ THE BOARDS ....



GJ: If you could book yourself in a pay per view match with anyone from any era of wrestling, who would it be and why?


CS: No offense to anyone I love all you guys...But I would have to say me and Jon (Jonathan Douglas) because we have always went out there and give a little more than we thought we could when we was in the back...In my own words we're smooth like ice together...And we'll work our asses off for anyone even if we don't like them we still love the sport of wrestling and respect any chance we get to work each other...)


GJ: What are your long term goals in wrestling? Do you feel that working shows like the one in Philly will bring you closer to those goals?


CS: I have always had the goal to work for WWE who hasn't, but the way things are there its not wrestling anymore its BS..I hope and pray that this is that big step I was talkin about and I would love to work ROH or TNA and hell even WWE but I would want to go through those two before I got there for simple reasons that people think their ready for that kinda stuff and there not. I have friends that work and have worked for Vince and they say it's hell but it's also love so I hope and wish the best for all of our goals and I hope that one day we reach them.


GJ: Having LITERALLY grown up in the business your entire life, what do you feel is the most important thing you've learned since you've started actually wrestling yourself?


CS: Don't go in there thinkin your better than the next guy cause you will find your place real quick, go in with heart not ego you will make more friends and get better bookings, Show RESPECT to everyone no matter if they started when you did, show it, its a big plus in alot of the guys eyes because this is a sport where you want friends because there is alot of trust in it and I don't trust my enemies..And if you get in it for the money unless your already makin millions you got in it for the wrong reason and if you get into it already makin that much money at least still have the love for it cause there is alot of guys I would love to see make that kinda money because they're worth it.


GJ: Do you have any interest in ever working for Memphis Wrestling?


CS: Honestly havent had the interest to work there since it all went to shit I mean you still have great workers come there and work there all the time but (And im not scared to say this)it goes back to ego's alot of them couldn't wrestle there way out of a wet paper sack but the ones who can are the ones you respect I could sit here and name names of all the guys I've worked with from there and hell even you would tell me I was right cause they show they still have the heart..Their not just in it to look good for the girls or to make the money but because they love the sport....But if I ever got the call I would work for them cause I love to wrestle and I dont care who it is we will try a 110% everytime.


GJ: Anything else you'd like to say while you have the opportunity?


CS: I know alot of people don't like me and I know alot of you respect me but there is one thing you can keep in mind no matter who you are, or what you do know that I look up to you all for havin the love for this sport just like the next person does...And for those who dont love and respect out sport get the fuck out and go work at Burger King they love ego's there.

-------------------------------------------------

I want to thank Chris Styles for the interview and wish him the best of luck on his upcoming trip to Philly and we will have full coverage of the event here on the site.

Check back soon for the first of my new series of "Cheap Heat" RasslePod broadcasts which will feature interviews and other news. The first interview will be conducted this week with Real Pro Wrestling's Scott "the Stud" Porteau who will be on the show to discuss the upcoming debut show of RPW in Ecru, Mississippi on August 4th and some of the misconceptions that have seemed to spread about RPW .


GENE