Sunday, August 12, 2007

RassleReview: RF Video Shoot Interview w/Kevin Nash by Gene Jackson

I just got a chance last night to check out the new shoot interview with Kevin Nash from RF Video and I have to say it was a very interesting interview that went further indepth than the WrestleReunion one that was conducted a couple of years ago. Nash was very open and honest here (I thought at least) and below is a trailer you can check out. As always, I'm not going to give a lot of spoilers here but there were some points of interest I'd like to cover.

A lot of people knock Nash for a number of things such as, a) he's not a good worker. b) he was overpaid and took advantage of Bischoff and their friendship. c) he abused his power as a booker by going over on Goldberg and taking the title too soon. d) Nash/Hogan/Bischoff with things like the "fingerpoke of doom" killed off WCW

So here's my opinion on those things. I've always liked Kevin Nash, I've always found him entertaining and thought he was good at what he does. You see a lot of these bitter old guys who bitch about him and the money he made with his "limited work rate". Here's the thing, Nash is nearly 50 years old and seems to have plenty of money from his time in wrestling specifically WCW. Why do people fault him for that? If they were shrewd enough business people to get themselves those kinda deals would they have turned them down? Would they have insisted on "doing more moves" to "earn" their money. Here is something that puts that into perspective, Kevin Nash but most smart people's standards is considered a "poor worker". On the flip side of that Dymamite Kid and Ricky Morton and considered two of the best workers of all time and now one of them is flat broke and in a wheel chair and the other has to work armories and high school gyms to make ends meet. So whose the better worker here? Or at the very least which would you rather be, praised by your peers and broke or be the rich guy with the "poor work rate." Again, I'm not knocking Dynamite or Morton just making a point.

As for taking advantage of his friendship with Bischoff to to help himself creatively, well hell yeah that goes on from the WWE down to the show down the road from your house. Not just wrestling, every facet of society and business you use your friends to get ahead. What, was he supposed to say, "Hey Eric, I'd really rather Scott and I drop the straps to the Villanos next week." Give me a break.

The Goldberg thing, he swears he didn't take the book til February, I don't know if that's true but someone had to do it eventually and it's not like that did it clean, there was a huge screwjob ending there. So take that for what's it worth.

The 'fingerpoke of doom', I personally never really liked and I do think it was a turning point in the downfall of WCW. However as he explained here the payoff to the angle got blown shortly after when Goldberg stuck his arm through the Limo window. Also, as he points out the whole point of the angle was to get their heat back and people are still made about almost 9 years later.

All and all it's very enjoyable shoot, I think everyone should check it out, again here's a sample.