Friday, November 23, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Nov 23rd,2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente



If you have read my columns in the past you are aware that they are quite critical and opinionated. If you normally enjoy reading my column this one may be a little to positive for you. I wanted to take this Friday’s column to point out the good things about even the people I am normally most critical of.

I want to start with the person I am normally most critical of

Stephanie McMahon: I don’t agree with many of her decisions but she has one hundred percent thrown herself into her position and is doing what she feels is best to keep company strong and viable.

Vincent Kennedy McMahon: He seems to always be sure that his company is fiscally sound. His stock pays a decent dividend.

Dixie Carter: She is very fan accessible when they have fan gatherings and other times as well.

Jeff Jarrett: Is a man trying to guide a company that is sharing his first holiday season with his three daughters after the loss of his wife and their mother.

Jerry Lawler: His longevity and what he has been able to accomplish is quite phenomenal.

Corey Maclin: He has created a working formula to live his dream and be a local TV star. I have to say many of us would trade places with him in a minute.

I also want to address the things that I have to be thankful for in the wrestling business and outside of the business.

I am very thankful that Michelle McCool became a WWE diva. I needed something to help me get over Stacey Keibler withdrawal.
As critical as I am of the product I would surely miss Monday Night Raw if it was gone.
I find myself being somewhat thankful for Hornswoggle. He does understand how to entertain.
I am thankful for my old tag team partner Carolina’s Own David Isley.
I am thankful for Gorgeous Gary Royal who guided an untrained “Big Cheese” through numerous matches and helped me to become a better in ring performer.
I am thankful for “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart whose guidance and input helped the WrestleReunion events run smoothly and to the fans satisfaction.
I am thankful to life long friend Tony Attanasio for all his support with the WrestleReunion project.
I am thankful to Rob Russen who did a lot of the day to day work regarding WrestleReunion and helped bring some stars like Wendi Richter and DDP to the table.
I am thankful for my good buddy “Sweet” Stan Lane. He is one of the rare people in this industry who’s word actually means something.
I am very thankful that we were able to get Wrestling Living Legend Bruno Sammartino to participate in our WrestleReunion events.

I do hope that everyone had a truly great Thanksgiving and is looking forward to joyous holiday season. The year of 2007 has not been the greatest for me. My new battle cry is I can’t wait for 08. Here are a few two things that I hope happen in Wrestling in 2008.

I hope that we get more actual wrestling on Monday nights.

I want a year that isn’t filled with scandal.

I hope that if this is Ric Flair’s last year as an in ring competitor that it is all handled respectably.

I want someone smart enough to give Christie Ricci a chance and let’s have some really great ladies matches on television.

Can any of us wait to see a string of little people come in to wrestle Hornswoggle?


This picture was taken in the green room at The Ray Martin Show in Sydney Australia in 1992. It was a live talk show that we appeared on. At the time Ray Martin was like the Phil Donahue of Australia. In the photo is Hillbilly Cousin Luke (Gene Petit) Debbie Levy our assistant on the trip, Stephen “Patch” Nichols star of Days of our Lives and former star of General Hospital, myself and Chief Jules Strongbow. We were all guests on that days show.

This has been a small slice of a piece of my mind

“The Big Cheese” Sal Corrente