Thursday, December 06, 2007

Cheap Heat- 12/6/07 by Gene Jackson

Cheap Heat- 12/6/07 by Gene Jackson

Sorry for not writing anything in so long but I've been busy with the radio show, but more on that later. Let's talk about some other stuff first.


PROPHECY FULLFILLED

A while back I wrote an article about the Nashville Wrestling show that had debuted on CSS hosted by Scott Barry. The shows were 30 minutes long and consisted of old St Louis footage from the EARLY 80's, shilling of their website and phone number (nothing wrong with that), LONG promos from Christopher Love (Bert Prentice) and "Malibu" Matt Boyce, and cheesy ass promos from "Sweet" Teddy Tender (Bully Douglas doing a horrible lounge singer gimmick). All this was done with promises of the show going to 1 hour in December with matches from their current roster of wrestlers. Meanwhile, last weekend before I left out on my trip to Mississippi to the TFW show, I downloaded a number of podcasts and such to listen to on the way down there. One of the ones I downloaded was TN. Wrestletalk w/Scott Barry as the guest. After about an hour of Barry getting interviewed, Trent Van Drisse called in (from the Mid-Southern Message Board) They proceded to argue for over an hour with the basic argument being, Trent saying that Scott is hyping Nashville Wrestling on CSS as the greatest thing ever and that in reality it was gonna crash and burn like EVERY other Prentice project. But it went on and on and on and on. Jason James and Scott Barry both write him off as a mark that doesn't know anything because he doesn't go to the shows he criticizes, BUT the fact of the matter is this. IF he's nothing but a MARK whose opinion doesn't matter WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU ARGUE WITH HIM ON THE AIR FOR AN HOUR?!?!? Secondly, he may not have gone to the live shows but what he said would happen, happened. So how do you argue with that. How bad does it have to suck for Barry to have to eat your words and look like a tool? I'm sure I'll get an email from him cause he apparently can't take criticism and likes to confront everyone who disagrees with him. I couldn't believe what I was listening to on that show, Barry talking about how "Sweet" Teddy Tender was gonna draw money and how Trent couldn't give an opinion on that character because he hadn't seen it live. I'm sorry but you don't have to buy a ticket and go to a show to have enough sense to know that in 2007, a cheap knockoff of Tony Clifton is not gonna sell tickets. So anyway, that's that. We'll be waiting for the next round of promises from good ol' Bert and whoever is shilling it next time around.


TWO THUMBS UP FOR THE NEW HBK DVD

So I got the new Shawn Michaels dvd the WWE just put out and it's very good. The documentary was well done although nothing groundbreaking if you've read his book of the same name. Still interesting to hear everyone's comments on Shawn and some of his matches. Ted Dibease eludes to the fact of how ludicrous it was for Hogan to go over on Shawn at Summerslam 05. It was also mentioned by Shawn himself how he wanted the match to be a babyface match and that Hogan was the one who insisted that Shawn be heel for it, "I want the Shawn Michaels from '97, brother." Shawn said he tried to talk him out of it cause he knew he would shred him on the mic, and make a fool out of him, but Hulk perisisted. "Terry's business, it will be fine." is what Vince told him. So Shawn proceded to go full blown heel on him and Hogan was quite upset in the end. Still, I think it was for the best, I don't think a babyface match would have gotten over as much or did as good of pay per view numbers as it did. Anyway, everything was discussed in depth including his drug use and finding Jesus. A good dvd with some good matches as well. Jim Ross says at the end that Shawn Michaels may be the greatest wrestler of all time, I tend to agree. Also don't forget this is available to order in the RRO SuperShop.


CHEAP HEAT RADIO

This is something I've been trying to work on for a year and never could find the right software to do it correctly, but now that I found a way to do it I thought I'd give it a try and the response has been tremendous. The number of downloads have been great. The feedback for the Derrick King shoot interview has been great and a whole lot of people are wanting to be interviewed now. Some will, some won't. Here's my plans for the show (feedback welcome) I'm only gonna do full blown extended shoot interviews once in a while. I'm not gonna spend an hour and a half asking everyone that comes on the show about everything they've done. I want each show to have a theme or topic, and I'll have guests call in to discuss and give their opinions and expertise on that given subject. Plus like I've done so far, I'll have people call in to promote upcoming shows around the area. Then when the opportunity arises I'll have special editions where the entire show is dedicated to a full shoot interview with one wrestler. My reason being is #1: I don't think people want to hear every detail of every wrestler's career that comes on the show and #2: I don't always know enough about the background of some of the guys to do a good interview with them. As of right now I've got shows booked through December. I do have another shoot interview coming up with Neil Taylor which I think will be interesting cause Neil has worked all over the area that R.R.O. covers and he doesn't care to tell the honest truth about things. Now all interviews whether full length shoots or just calling in on a subject will be a shoot, no more kayfabed stuff (unless the worker just insists, and that will depend on who they are and the context of the conversation) So with all the time I'm putting into these shows I don't know how often I'll be WRITING, but I'm sure everyone will get enough of my views on the show.

As always if you'd like to comment, ask a question, or try to get booked for Cheap Heat Radio email me at genejackson@charter.net