Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Dec 11th 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I didn’t even start to write this column until Monday Night Raw was over. I don’t think that they hit a home run with the show. It could have certainly been better but I do think it was a triple. I found it quite enjoyable and it was great seeing some of the guys and girls that hadn’t been around in years. I think that mixing some of the old with the new is certainly part of the answer for WWE, USA Network and the FANS. It was great to see Sunny out there and she did look fabulous as everyone has been saying. I was disappointed in how they used her. I was hoping they would give her more of a chance to shine. Hopefully she shined backstage in her conduct and communication and the door might be opened for her return. It’s always a good time when The Godfather shows up that’s for sure. Who in the world is going to believe that Vince slept with Mae Young please come on get real? The last time Mae Young looked good enough for a man of fifty something to sleep with her Vincent Kennedy McMahon was running around in Pampers and shaking his rattle. It is great to see Shane out there; he really should sign a talent contract with the company and start appearing more on the TV shows. He is a talented guy and helps the product when ever he is out there. In the way that Stephanie was used on this program she did just fine and looked fantastic, the little inside jokes are great for people like me but is that good for business? I am not sure if it hurts but it sure doesn’t help at all.

I am not a fan of ladder matches based on principle alone. I will say that both Carlito and Jeff worked hard and deserve credit for their efforts. I have been aware of Matt and Jeff Hardy since “Carolinas Own” David Isley and Colt Steel and my self were running around the Carolina Indy circuit chasing guys like “Gorgeous” Gary Royal, “The Wild Thing “Willie Clay, The Cruel Connection and Nick of Time. I believe both of these guys have a long career in this business if they take care of their bodies and I just don’t know that is happening. It was great seeing Marty Janetty since his match at WrestleReunion in Tampa against “Gorgeous” Gary Royal. I have been pulling for Marty to make it back to the big time. In watching the clips of World Class Championship Wrestling I say purchase that DVD perhaps it’s my sentimentality towards the guys I worked with over the years that makes me say that but if you want to see something really special I believe that purchasing that DVD will accomplish your goal. How about Rob Van Dam coming back and surprising most people? How about the ovation for him? If someone in WWE let him leave there without his name on a contract they should be ashamed of themselves. If Rob did leave without a consummated contract, Dixie Carter should pull out all the stops and sign Rob Van Dam to a long term contract. If you have to rescind your offer to Sting do what ever you have to do. This is a piece of talent that you company can not pass up on. He could perhaps be the long term future of your company. I met Rob Van Dam once at the Ray and Sharon Courts Hollywood Collectors Show in Burbank, Ca at the Airport Marriott. If you are interested in seeing the legends of Hollywood and a small mixture of sports celebrities they have a great show http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/Burbank.htm . I told him that Jimmy Snuka and he had one thing in common. At different times the company has tried to bury both of these guys and the fans would not allow it. Who ever is making it possible to let Rob Van Dam sit at home and do nothing you are doing a disservice to this business. This is the same thing that happened with Sting for many years those were valuable years when he could have been much more of an asset to the business. In the words of Don Vito Corleone sometimes you have to make a man an offer he can’t refuse. It isn’t often that people come around that are really something special Jimmy Snuka was one of those, Kurt Angle was one of those and Rob Van Dam is certainly one of those.

The Evolution spot was fine for what it was but I hated that they wasted Umaga doing a job even in a spot like that. If you have a heel the people believe in why make him a sacrificial lamb. It is obvious that all issues surrounding Hulk Hogan these days did not affect him in the eyes of WWE fans. Hopefully they will tune in to watch him on American Gladiators on January 6th and 7th. Over the last twenty five years I have been in the company of Hulk Hogan on numerous occasions. It was mind boggling for me to see Khali dwarf him the way the he did. Its been a long time since Andre and Hulk stood side to side on those few occasions when it happens I guess Hulk gets to know what guys like me and “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart feel like standing next to him. The Battle Royal was fun for me but didn’t have near enough time given for it. I wonder if Backlund going out so soon was a knock at TNA or Backlund himself. How about Gillberg going out so fast? It was a lot of fun and I have to say that I was swerved for sure I thought without a doubt that Sgt Slaughter was going to win the match. It was a lot of fun watching DiBiase come down there and pay off I.R.S.

I wasn’t very impressed with the Bischoff session. How did that elevate Jericho any?
I first met Cody Rhodes on my way out of Diamond Dallas Pages apartment when I was negotiating with Steve Austin to appear at WrestleReunion in Tampa. He seemed like a good guy. I ran into him again in Spartanburg SC with a show that had tons of legends on it such as “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, Jerry “The King” Lawler, The Louisville Slugger Jim Cornette, Jeff Hardy, “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart and Diva’s So Cal Val, Lollipop, Amber O’Neal and many more stars. It was also the end of Tony Hunters promoting career he was a guy who got in way over his head and ruined a good reputation that took many years to build up and destroyed it in one night. It seems that at times over the years WWE has shoved second generation wrestlers down the throats of the fans and it hasn’t paid off. At the very least Cody is going to be a solid performer for years to come. They need to bring him along properly so the fans don’t revolt on him. We will see how it goes as time passes by.

I have had all I can stand of Jillian Hall and this horrible angle they are running with her. I don’t know her and perhaps she is a great person, she does have some ring skills but this deal they have her doing SUCKS. How about Trish Stratus has she ever looked better in her life? If she has I am sorry that I wasn’t there at that time. The fans loved seeing her as well. How about Lita NOT looking as good as she ever has? It appears she isn’t planning a return to wrestling anytime soon but she is still an entertainer. It’s always fun seeing my old buddy Mick Foley back on RAW and the people will never tire of seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin.

On a night of reunions why not have a Rockers Reunion? I think that would have been a better way to use Janetty and the fans would have eaten that up.

I saved this for last, Hornswoggle is without a doubt one of the more entertaining people in the company. I am not sure who found him but he should certainly be one of the people looking for new talent. I know people are used to me normally trashing Monday Night Raw that’s because usually it deserves to be trashed. I am more than willing to and hope I can write more positive things about RAW and the WWE as a whole. If the programs are at least this good they will get more positive reviews if not well then back to the old ballgame.

This picture was taken in The Meadowlands Arena in the early eighties. It was an event that had stars from the different companies around the country. This one of course is of two former NWA World Heavyweight Champions. I can’t imagine I need to name them but just in case it’s the “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair and Dory Funk Jr. I believe I attended the event with The Koloff’s Ivan and Nikita and Krusher Khruschev.and took this picture myself.


This has been a piece of my mind

by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente