Friday, December 14, 2007

A Piece of my Mind Dec 14th, 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


It is no secret that I am no longer a fan of Corey Maclin and how he runs his promotion or better yet how he lets Jerry Lawler run it for him. However, at the same time what’s right is what’s right, I wish everyone thought the same way but they don’t. I do not believe for one minute that Hulk or Big Show was not paid in a way that was acceptable to them for the Fed Ex Forum show. I interacted with The Big Show that evening and he seemed totally fine. I have heard not one peep about Hulk not being paid and I am 100% sure that by now I would have heard if he was unhappy. I know for a fact that Hulk asked Paul Wight to come in after Lawler pulled out on the Fed Ex Forum show. I know that Corey covered all of Paul Wight’s first class plane tickets and hotel accommodations as he should have. These are things that no one thinks about but when Lawler pulled out it drastically changed Corey Maclin’s costs for running the event. I have been backstage at many WWE events of course they are very well produced but they also come with a large staff. I have been backstage at TNA which also has a large staff. I can tell you this that at the Fed Ex Forum the production team was Jimmy Hart, Colin Bowman David Penzer and I. I have run many large events before and I can tell you that this one was run as well as any of them for the limited amount of staff available you couldn’t ask for more. I was extremely impressed with Colin and Dave Penzer and their backstage abilities. If anyone is unaware Jimmy Hart is one of those guys that can pull a show together and make sure all loose ends are tied up. It is for that reason he became such a big part of WrestleReunion and we started what will most certainly bee a life long friendship. I do not know what caused Bubba “The Love Sponge” to make the comments he made about Corey Maclin but for my opinion to change I would need proof the accusations that Bubba made about Corey are true. If anyone out there is thinking logically do you really think that Hulk’s legal team wouldn’t be all over Corey by now if he got stiffed on money? I am sure it would be a lot easier to sue Corey Maclin in Memphis then it is to press charges against Jerry Lawler in Tunica. If anyone wants to accuse Corey or anyone else of something you should be sure it’s factual first and tell us why you’re making the claims your making. It is irresponsible to make these types of accusations against someone especially if you’re not the most credible person yourself

I guess things are back to normal after all my kind words about RAW and even Stephanie comes word that she really blasted Dave Kapoor a.k.a. Ranjin Singh for some sort of inappropriate behavior (breaking kayfabe) during an in ring segment. I can tell you this that there is no kayfabe to break in WWE in regards to the product. If there is any kayfabe at all it is regarding things like full disclosure on how things like the drug policy are administered. Her father took kayfabe and threw it away in one swoop. On top of that how about all of the cute little comments made by Triple H during the opening segment of the show who determines what’s ok and what isn’t? When do you decide and what does the talent use as a guide? The arrogance in which this incident was described on Stephanie’s part is unacceptable. If she is interested in history at all she should look back at her company’s history. In the days of her grand fathers WWWF talent that was making a living didn’t just walk away from the business. In her fathers day it happened very rarely. In today’s environment several stars have been willing to walk away. I am not saying this guy is a star or even a necessary piece of the puzzle. What I will say is that her arrogance and belligerent attitude toward WWE employees is just one of the things that will help her rapidly flush the company down the toilet if it is turned over to her. It is a skill to manage people today and Stephanie’s skill are not limited they appear to be nonexistent.

FLASHBACK: I was attending an NWA television taping at the Philadelphia Civic Center and as always I had my referee gear with me. I was lucky that on this night that Tommy Young the top NWA official was not booked. In Pennsylvania the Athletic Commission assigned referee’s but the NWA didn’t have faith in the Commission referee’s so I got my big chance to impress J.J. Dillon, Dusty Rhodes and Jim Crockett Jr. I was told that I would do the first hour and the Commission referee’s would do the second hour. Well when the first hour was over I was told I would do the second hour as well. The Commission referees did all the dark matches which were actually the main event type matches but non televised of course. In one match we had a six man tag where Flair, Arn and Tully were in a six man tag team match. It was then that J.J. checked on how tired I was and told me that I should get with him later that he had more bookings for me. Those bookings were Great American Bashes and from there I became an NWA regular north of Charlotte. I also got to referee a televised Dusty Rhodes and Bobby Eaton T.V. title match in a steel cage. It was a great break for me and it led me to making some good money. I can say that Jim Crockett always paid me well. I owed my opportunity that night to several factors including being Nikita’s buddy but once that door is opened for you. It’s all up to you so if that chance comes your way for what ever the reason be ready to perform and show why you were someone that they should have given a chance to.

In this picture its Jimmy Hart and Carmen Electra with me. We were hanging out at the studio on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. I love California and was glad that I got the chance to hang with Jimmy out there.

This has been a piece of my mind

By “The Big Cheese” Sal Corrente