Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Coach’s Corner – LAW: “Pissed, aggravated and still smiling…”

----Before I go out to the ring to do the angle in LAW Friday night, I told Jeff O’Dell [pictured above] just “shoot” about the book and your photo not being in it. I was ask as we walked to the back, “how did it go?” and I said, “I just told him to shoot.” And Jeff responded, “I did!!” The scary part of the whole interview segment/angle was that it really did seem that Jeff was getting some aggression out talking about his photo not being in the book and calling Brian Thompson a “goof”. He went on and on about how either I or Brian was not even in the business anymore like him and that I just sit at home typing away things on my keyboard. Sounded all so familiar and was a good interview, but it also made me realize that O’Dell probably believes everything he says. I later heard him saying something about a belt that Thompson “stole” and calling Thompson a “thief” to anyone that would listen. Thompson has the respect in this business of guys like Bobby Eaton, Ken Wayne, Ricky Morton and I. He is neither a goof nor a thief. This valued information is coming from a guy that is still using the name that Thompson created and can’t seem to draw over 50 people on a regular basis to his show.

----“The Golden Boy” Greg Anthony as LAW champion is starting to tire me. It is time to drop the LAW belt and let someone else try to help draw some fans. I am have been a fan of TGB’s booking since his early days in NBW, but it comes a time when it is not about putting yourself over as the champ, but to get someone else over. His booking had a hole in it when he missed the boat with Slim Pickens, when Pickens won the bullrope match – nothing after that. The local promotions supposedly had a Unified Title. What did TGB go out and do?? He brought back the LAW belt and gave it to himself, because for some reason this promotion needs more than one champion. [I am told the Unified Title is no longer even recognized by anyone.] There is a stage at where the heel champion is not going to help you draw anymore. When does this happen?? Well, it happens when babyface after babyface can not take the title off of him. The fans bore and they start getting smart - they have seen the champ beat clean, seen him beat by reversal and seen him drop the title, but bring it back. At no point do they think he is going to lose it – so what do you need to do?? Put it on someone else to surprise them and maybe get them talking. Pickens would not have been my pick as winning the belt nor Tommy Redneck, but I do think Brandon Espinosa was set up to be the next champion and for some reason it just did not happen.

----Rebbeca Raze, who I consider really young in the business, is a wise for her age. She has been a pro for 4 years, but during a conversation that we had after her match with Angelina put her over with me. The match was real bad as Angelina was just lost. It was her first match though. I have always been told that the “vet” of the match should always take control – take the rookie to the mat and sit on them until they have gathered their head. I told her she had to take control of the match and her response was, “I don’t want to beat her up or do anything like that.” That was really not what I was saying, but she went on to say that her goal is to work with Angelina as much as possible until they get good together. Raze [pictured below] believed there was no sense in making her look bad, when they are in such a small town. She also knows there are only a few girls working locally and she feels that if she can help them and if they can have good matches, then it benefits both of them. Good point taken and chalk one up for Raze. She is also helping train for the new Memphis Ladies Wrestling promotion and it will give the girls in this area a place to work.

----Mark Sterling is the kind of worker that you want on your shows. I joked about being a “mark” for Mark , but I had heard a lot of good things about Sterling. I watched him in some of his rookie matches and was impressed with him more so than guys like Scott Starr or Tony Gunn. He just comes across as having “it” and is a damn good worker. At some point he had started to work for OVW in the training camp and due to some unfortunate incidents the time was just not right for him. I feel he was much like a lot of young guys in other sports – too much too quick and he just could not handle it. He has his head back on straight and told me he is working out with Ken Wayne and Harley Race at their schools. How can you not continue to improve from working with these guys?? He said his stay at Wayne’s school in recent weeks was a great learning experience. And, as he said, if you ever think you have learned everything about this business – then it is time to get out. Although Sterling will probably not work a lot in this area, I would love to see him in the ring with guys like Derrick King, Stan Lee, TGB and Eric Wayne.

----$2 a ticket?? This coming Friday night the fans of LAW have to pay only $2 to get in the building. If they draw over 100 people, then next week will be another $2 night. What kind of message is being sent to the fans?? It makes them think that LAW is worth only about $2. If you charge a low price, then the fans start to think that the product is not worth anything. The sad thing is that at $2, they should get 200 fans, but might get lucky with a little over 100. Overall, as I have said many times, LAW has a good crew and puts on a good show. $2 tickets?? Is this what it takes to draw in this town?? If so, then it is time to move somewhere else. The idea is to get butts in the seats – Luke Graham JR MEWA did by offering FREE seats, but they averaged in the 200s every week. XOW is drawing over 300 people with tickets at $10/$8. I just find it sad that they offer $2 tickets and get less than 150 in the building. The main problem may be the location, but other factors like advertising and such probably play into the equation.



VOICE YOUR OPINION ON JEFF O'DELL, TGB AS CHAMP, REBECCA RAZE, MARK STERLING AND $2 TICKETS ON THE KAYFABE MESSAGE BOARD!!