Friday, March 07, 2008

A Piece of my Mind March 7th 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I was one who had no doubt that bringing Booker T into TNA would not help TNA’S ratings at all. This was not so much a knock at Booker T but just more clarification that the problem with TNA isn’t talent related ... it is a behind the camera’s issue. I understand that Booker T has become a mentor to some of the younger talent. He has also encouraged Kurt Angle to do the same. If this is true it does add to their value within the company. These guys have been to the top of the mountain and its good, as their career is on the downhill side of desire, that they pass the wisdom along to someone else. I hope that the kids of TNA are attentive with very open ears. There was a time when both Angle and Booker T were new in the business. I am sure they listened to people to get where they are today.


I am sure that I am not in the minority when I say I will enjoy the Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair at Wrestlemania. However, I am not pleased that the match was even made. I have been familiar with Shawn Michaels for over 20 years. We have been on shows together and I was in the ring with Marty and he when they were in the AWA. I have listened to Gorgeous Gary Royal tell story after story about these guys. He worked with both Sean and Marty many many times in Kansas City and he also ran around town a lot with Ric Flair in those days.

I believe that Shawn Michaels is the most exciting performer in the WWE. I had a chance to interact with Sean last year at an event or two. I found him to be a changed man he grew up a lot. I can appreciate Ric Flair for what he has accomplished and the great promo’s that he does. I think I would be more interested in Raw if Flair and Dusty were allowed to cut promos for most of the show. I do not believe that, for the biggest show of the year that. Shawn should be in what amounts to a throw away match. The fans basically believe Sean can beat anyone with a super kick out of no where. If Shawn beats Flair it means nothing, if he doesn’t beat him the fans will call bullshit anyway. Why take a guy who is a total baby face and put fans in a position they feel they have to boo him in. The fans will support Flair in what everyone believes will be his retirement match. They did the same thing with The Rock and Hulk Hogan and The Rock got booed out of the building.

The legends and nostalgia are such big things today, why not give people a Dusty Rhodes and Flair match. I suggested last week Dory Funk and let the spinning toe hold and the Figure Four Leg Lock walk away into the sunset together. How about Greg Valentine who is still very active? They could have a battle of the figure four leg locks. Why not do whatever it takes to get Ricky Steamboat back in the ring one more time with Flair. There were so many ways to go with this why in the world waste Sean Michael in a match that is unlikely to take him up a level? I see Wrestlemania as a flat event this year. We are getting basically what you can get on Monday nights for free.

Even the celebrities involved make no sense. You want to create a buzz? How about Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan if you want that type of thing?. What about Britney Spears and where is Kevin Federline? The most logical choice of all is Snoop Dog. How convincing will that be to Congress that you are trying to be a drug free company when he walks through the door with a cannabis cloud around his head? I would just love to sit in the boardroom when these things are decided on. I know Wrestlemania should make money and be a success, but I doubt twenty years from now too much on this show will be discussed as going down in history.



When I was putting together WrestleReunion 1 I met Joe Price. He was a help to me in certain ways and he took a vendor space as well. I had Joe help me on some other things as well. He was a local Florida promoter and a pretty fair guy. When I ran my large event in Davie Fl he was a vendor there as well. The one thing that he did for me was when I called him for help with local talent. I needed someone to work with Jake Roberts who could take care of Jake. He recommended a man named Antonio Banks to me. I said Joe he has to be a good worker and respectful. I was worried about Jake’s hip. The guy showed up and was a total class act. He did as was asked and went home but I knew I had been exposed to someone who was headed for the big time. That man ended up being MVP.

I briefly mentioned this in a previous article but I revisit it because Joe Price passed away this weekend after a lengthy illness. Through the years Joe was involved in many things including being the promoter for NWA Florida. We actually had to get the NWA Tag Team Title match where the Funks faced America’s Most Wanted and Jeff Jarrett defending the NWA Championship vs. Tully Blanchard sanctioned through his office. They also made belts and distributed videos. I liked Joe Price I always felt you would get the story straight through him. It’s never good when someone passes on but worse when you had a pretty fair guy who leaves us. Hopefully Joe ends up in the Florida side of heaven and starts promoting up there.


The picture for this article comes from backstage at WrestleReunion 2. It was great to catch these two legends together in a picture. This was taken by George Napolitano of Wrestling’s Living Legend Bruno Sammartino and Bret “The Hitman” Hart.


This has been a piece of my mind