Thursday, April 17, 2008

Coach's Corner - "Old School with a New Twist"

----When they do well, I say they do well. But…Crazy Train shows up at the RCW show this past weekend with a belt claiming he never lost it and was stripped of his belt. His reference is to NBW and he is trying his best to work a shoot here. First of all, 60 people in Marmaduke, AR could care less whether he was NBW champion or not. His tenure with NBW was topped with a title belt win, then an injury that he caused himself by bumping on the outside of the ring apron. His IR status was much shorter than everyone expected and he showed up for a show a few weeks back in Metropolis, IL. His best match ever was his title win from Mark Justice and he was getting a great response at NBW. The problem is that his family doesn’t want him working NBW, because they thought Motley Cruz hurt him. He has been heard saying, “I would never work for Derrick King” in the dressing rooms and has trolled my message board. Crazy Train needs to get his head on straight and remember the people that helped him get that first major title win.

----OMG!! Is what I was thinking as Christian Cage, AJ Styles and James Storm battled at the recent TNA PPV on top of the cage. I felt a bit queasy as my stomach got butterflies. I hate heights and it was just scary. They fall from a ladder to break a table on top of A CAGE!! Scary shit and many old timers will say that is not wrestling, but it does get all of use net goofs talking. It is also something that I think the fans demand when they put on a match like this. I have been at fault at saying stuff like “no blood” made the match worse. The expectations for all of us have changed thru the years and at times they are too much.

----Speaking of “old school”, I got an interesting letter from Randy Hales after his 2-week stint at TLCW. Some of the criticism of Yearbook 2007 was that it had too much TLCW stuff in it. Why was there so much?? Mainly because it was “the” promotion in this area – it was voted as that by everyone. Hales said, “The talent was respectful and hard working and most had a passion for what they were doing. And, they have that town in good shape. The stuff laid out was not easy stuff for them to do in the angle and everybody was right on the money on every promo, every spot and every finish. And, the crowd was going crazy”. Maybe that is why TLCW won promotion of the year for two years in a role?? As I have said in the past, it all about having good talent that can work. If your workers can work, then the promoters have an easier time having a good show.

----Hales also said in his letter referring to his angle, “Anyway, we proved wrestling the old school way works as long as you have people knowing what they are doing and also if you give it a new twist which is what I hope we did.” As I read that all I could think about is some of the guys that actually get stuck in the past and don’t know anything about the current state of the business. The “old timers” are not always good at taking chances. This all brought me back to watching the TNA PPV on Sunday. Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe was a total throwback to the old classic wrestling matches. This was something you would have seen in the Lou Thesz days. What did they do to put the “new twist” to it?? They promoted the fact of UFC fighters training them and put that realism back into the match. It was not overall my “cup of tea”, but I do feel these two guys are two of the best in the business today at working any style. Even though I am a stickler for psychology, I also love that “new twist” of high flying moves and such…but put them where they belong.

----TIWF has continued to draw good gates and along with ASWF is drawing the best crowds in this area. I got a few letters from TIWF saying that I am not giving them enough credit for them drawing so well?? I think I have done a fair job in letting everyone know what this promotion is doing. As we have seen with other promotions, the key to all of this is to CONTINUE to draw. The product that you are presenting to the fans – it has to continue to be interesting. I was told that they feel as if they have been “slighted” by RRO and only when something bad happens is when I seem to report it. I have continued to support you guys and give you “thumbs up” for drawing and you guys are what the “boys” are talking about when it comes to drawing. In reality, the numbers I have been getting have been questioned by everyone from people at your show to workers at your show to workers from other shows. I will continue to give you guys praise and will soon visit you for a look for myself.

VOICE YOUR OPINION ABOUT COACH'S CORNER ON THE KAYFABE BOARD