Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Coach’s Corner – Stan Lee and Robbie Douglas – Living the Wrestling Dream!!


----Melodramatic has it might sound both Stan Lee and Robbie Douglas are much like a lot of people reading this site. Each are following a different path as Lee has been in the business longer and his talent could get him anywhere. Robbie Douglas is working in his 2cnd year in the business – still learning. What makes the two guys as similar to anyone that laces a pair boots – they are living the dream of becoming wrestlers.

----The incident that happen is something that I actually wished I was not witness to or I wished didn’t happen. Saturday night during the main event at TLCW, Stan Lee threw a chair hitting Robbie Douglas with Douglas getting hardway. Douglas ended up with a 4 inch deep gash that took 5 staples and ended up costing him $1,000+ at the emergency room.

----The fight that happened after the event should have never happened. Douglas was upset. Who wouldn’t have been?? Lee apparently apologized and then Douglas kept “mouthing” and went to walk away. He was going out the door, when Lee apparently kicked him hard in the ass. Douglas then turned around and went running toward Lee. Douglas just dived taking Lee’s legs out from under and was on top hitting him. I witnessed Douglas going after Lee and that is when I went to stop it. [Like I could have done anything with these two guys; huh??] Best I could tell, Derrick King, AJ Bradley, Randy Hales and me were the ones trying to pull them apart, but they were actually apart before I got there. I am not even sure if Hales was involved, but he had blood all over his hands. It happened so quick, that it was hard to tell what was going on. They got broke up and Douglas left. DK and Hales had a talk with AJ and Lee. Douglas waited on AJ in the truck to leave.

----This is what I have always been told – if you do something against another worker on mistake, you are supposed to apologize. It is the rule – if you are genuinely sorry for what you did, and then all is forgiven and forgotten. On with the next match. I talked with Lee after the incident and I feel he was sorry for what he did and didn’t try to hurt Douglas intently. Douglas felt Lee was completely careless in throwing the chair with him on his all fours and unable to protect himself. Human emotions have Douglas being pissed and Lee kicking Douglas. None of that SHOULD have happened, but you shouldn’t “blame” either one for having a human reaction.

----The common argument for this is that “It is wrestling!! You are going to get hurt!!” I totally agree with that. Incidents that come to mind are Stan Lee getting his jaw broken by Kevin Thorn and the recent injury that Maxx Corbin suffered. I got dropped on my head on a chair by “Pure Destruction” [Cody/Brody Hawk] – I still have a scar and my neck does not move like it is supposed to move. [part of that accident was my fault] It happens and you have to just get on with it.

----My advice to Douglas was to just call and talk to Lee and just get on with it. Injuries are not something that we want to happen, but it DOES happen. I don’t feel as of right now that Douglas would want to work against Lee again. At least not right now. I don’t consider him a “bad guy” for not doing it. It is his choice. Nobody will be losing sleep over the incident other than Douglas. Maybe this business is just something Douglas should not be a part of. Douglas is a kid with raw talent that up until this incident was working at a promotion that would have taken him to the next level. It is sad though that at this level that when someone is hurt that they have to spend money out their own pocket that makes them question on whether they even want to lace up their boots again. I guess it is the business though and price of living the wrestling dream.