Thursday, May 22, 2008

Coach's Corner - "Jeremy Moore - Wrestling Superstar"


----It was discussed all weekend long and in reality time will only tell if it was the right decision, but Moore has been highly criticized by workers in the area and even some workers on this show, since he is the booker and put himself over Masters in the main event. I have a hard time second guessing any of the booking of a show that draws a huge crowd and the finish was such a big pop. Both can be said about the finish of the show and 230+ is a 47% increase in attendance with a 100% increase in ticket price. Can that be all bad??

----Should Jeremy Moore have pinned ex-WWE “superstar” Chris Masters?? No, not in the real world he would have not even come close. Moore is tiny compared to Masters. He is not a top level worker and he really doesn’t look the part of a wrestler. Does any of that really matter?? Well, it seems to matter to many of the other workers in this area. Does it matter to the fans at NBW?? Nah..they loved the finish. Does this kind of thing hurt the business in the area as a whole?? Many feel like it does, but if the crowds go up a bit and they keep believing Moore can beat anyone, then it does not hurt anyone.

----I have compared this to the Von Erichs this weekend. Please do not think I am comparing Moore to a Von Erich, because it was a total different era and the Von Erichs drew tons of money. I guess we can call it more like the “Von Erich Effect”. The worker is pushed by himself or mainly his father. He doesn’t have the body of a wrestler [Kerry & Kevin always had good bodies though]. His workrate is not great, but is passable. The #1 factor is this – is he over?? And, yes he is, but many would say “if I was pushed like that I would be over also”, which is true. What could happen in this situation is similar to what happened with the Von Erichs. The illusion is taken away as the father is always pushing his son and visible to the fans. At one point the fans may turn completely against Moore , since he is a daddy’s boy and is only pushed because of that. And, I am not saying as turning in that they will want him to be heel – they will completely just quit coming to the show.

----I have been ask by many people these last few days, if I would have been the booker, would I have put Moore over?? And if you read last week’s “Coach’s Corner”, then you already know the answer to the question. I would have kept Masters in the babyface role and probably would have had say Moore pin Cruz, since Cruz is the champion. As I said in my Arena Report, I would have probably even booked it different with an XOW team going over to further that feud – if the heels would have went over by saying pinning Red, then they could have claimed that NBW couldn’t even win with a major star. It was suggested to me that a heel should have pinned Masters, then he has the “claim” for his heel heat. Another scenario could have been Masters going against the champion – Motley Cruz [sort of the old vet goes after the young stud – it would have been a good match at least] with something happening where Cruz losing because of outside interference leading to the next feud. In reality though, we can not tell whether Moore booking will flop or not until we study the gates in the weeks to come.

----Finally, I really need to voice my stance on what should be told and what should be kayfabe, even on a site like this. I am probably worse person in the world to yell “kayfabe”, because this site exposes more in one viewing than years of going to the matches does. Here is what I will not post – I will not post finishes of matches of shows in this area – before they happen. [this includes “mystery” partners and such] I have heard the “spoilers” of all shows [TNA/WWE] are listed, so why does it matter? Well, it really doesn’t matter to all the people that read my site. And, there are not enough marks reading this site that it would matter for them. Even though it was made a big deal for say 20 minutes, it really doesn’t even matter to the promotion, because if they are smart – they just go along with their original plan. It will piss a lot of people off and those that revealed will be punished. Here is the main reason I do not expose finishes - #1: I want to be surprised and get a reaction. #2: I want to keep trust with all the promotions in this area that when I am asked to kayfabe, then they can trust me to kayfabe. My feelings are that if they can trust me to kayfabe, then they trust my opinion – whether it is good or bad on their show. It might seem though I am babyfacing them all, but I do have to have a working relationship of some degree with all the promotions in this area. Call me a babyface or a shill or mark or whatever, but I am not going to go out of my way to do something just out of jealousy or to get myself over. I call it being professional and objective