Friday, May 23, 2008

A Piece of my Mind May 23rd 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente




It was announced today that Corey Maclin settled his case with the WWE. I was surprised to hear that because it happened so fast. I had no doubt, in my mind, that Corey would be getting paid on this case. The WWE, in my opinion, was one hundred percent wrong in this issue. It appears that the WWE analyzed all aspects of this case and felt it was in their best interest to settle this case. If you look back through history McMahon’s approach is to never let anyone see him sweat. I am sure that the WWE wouldn’t have settled this case and paid money unless they knew that they were going to spend a lot of time and money and still lose the case.

It is no secret to anyone that Corey and I are not exactly big buddies these days. I havent spoken to him since he called me on June16th to apologize for what Jerry Lawler did to me. If Memphis Wrestling returns to the air in Memphis it makes no difference to me at all. I can tell you this, that in regards to this case, Corey was right and should have gotten paid. I don’t know what the settlement was and don’t expect to find out. But one thing Corey can never get back is the chance to have sold out the Fed Ex Forum. It should be clear to anyone that Jerry Lawler being on a wrestling card today in Memphis or anywhere else means very little.

I will say that in this case, however, that Jerry Lawler would have meant a lot. The people of Memphis didn’t get a chance to show their support for Lawler since he bailed out before the first ticket even went on sale. I have no doubt, in my mind, that Hogan vs. Lawler would have drawn big numbers in Memphis. I can even be convinced it would have been a sell out. This was one event that would have been promoted properly and had the full support of everyone involved to make it work.

I don’t know what McMahon had to pay, or how much of his pride had to be swallowed, for this case to be settled but its a lot less than he would have had to swallow if Hogan and Lawler sold out that building without WWE support. I was looking forward to Lawler testifying in this case. Well I guess you cant get everything you want but I bet Corey Maclin came pretty close.

The picture for this article was taken at an ACW taping. This was a company started by Nelson Royal/ I was the head referee we were on WCNC-TV the NBC affiliate. The three guys were Carolina's Own David Isley, Gene Ligon and Tommy Angel from Left to Right. This photo was taken in 1989 and the two on the left Isley and Gene Ligon went on to be The Thunderfoot's from about 1992 to current. In the old Crockett days Ligon was an original along with Joel Deation. When Rob Russen put his Australia tour together and Deaton wasnt available I suggested Isley to take Joel's place, When Ligon agreed they got new outfits and Isley made his debut on Russen's month long tour to Australia.