Thursday, June 19, 2008

Coach's Corner - "Spot Monkeys, Stars, TV Shows, Perception and Opportunity"

----"Sons of the South" [Chris Styles/Josh Matthews] vs Anton LeVeigh/Brandon Barbwire worked the All Pro show this weekend and as usual when these four guys go out, they try their best to put on a great show for the fans. I actually think they try to hard sometimes in the sense of forgetting to do just the basics. The All Pro show was criticized by most people people in the wrestling biz I talked with. It was well received by the "Thunder on the Water" crew and Kenny and crew will be invited back. I heard that Ken Wayne had a bitch session with these guys and I hope it does help them out. I wrote Ken a note and he sent the following "It wasn't a bitch session, Anton and Brandon ask me to watch their match and critique it, so I did. The other guys I invited to listen and I told them it wasn't going to be pretty, and they chose to listen and be critiqued. All I did was tell the truth and I guess sometimes the truth can be brutal, but I didn't intend it to be. I didn't tell them anything I haven’t told my guys, in fact I was probably nicer to them than I am to my guys...lol. They didn't seem offended or anything like that, they seemed to listen, understand and genuinely appreciate it. I just hope some of it takes. " Me too bro, because unlike a lot of people think - I do think all four of these guys have talent - they just got learn the three "w's" - when, what and where to improve their matches.To their credit, one of the guys did call and thank Ken. I am just hoping they take it all to heart.

----It is funny how the workers may pe other workers different than say I do or the casual fans. If you are worker and work a guy that gives you a total different "look" at him. I had a talk with "The Golden Boy" Greg Anthony the other day after the last "Coach's Corner". His opinion of two guys was totally different, because he has had the chance to work both guys. Everyone has to understand that I only see a small "window" of what you guys do week after week. There is no way I can go to every show and see every guy work - week after week. What I see and what I think - is much like a "first impression" and can sometimes not represent how a guy might work - week after week. If I attend show after show and the same workers are the same guys that have good matches. Then, those are the guys that get most of my praise and it has nothing to do how it would feel in the ring against those guys. Guys like Stan Lee, TGB, Flash Flanagan and Derrick King - they have a good match almost every time they step in a ring. I and the guys that work them would agree on that - they are the best workers in this area. Guys that have worked Hulk Hogan in the past have said how easy it was to work him and would consider him a good worker. He did very little - so not much had to be done to keep up with him. Tracey Smothers, who TGB recently worked two nights in a row, would be considered a great worker from the "boys" point of view, but would have a hard time convincing people different - he has always been used as a undercard guy and that is how fans see him. Guys like Eddy Guerrero and Chris Benoit both fell in that category where not only the fans knew they were great workers, but the boys were dying to work them too.

----Speaking of my perception of guys and their matches, I do have to make a point about my star system. The star system was invented by Jim Cornette and a guy named Norm Dooley. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter adopted it and has used it for years. When I started this site, my intention was being a "kayfabe" insiders site similar to WON - but just on the Memphis Wrestling area. I used all the terminology of a "smart site" along with things that were actually said by local guys - "inside" terms or just call them what you want. The star system for me is mainly a "personal enjoyment". That includes good psychology, fans into the match and execution of the moves. In Randy Hales' "Cheap Heat Radio" interview, he made it a point to say that the site is just the opinion of one guy. Good point, but I believe that after all this time that I spent around the business and working inside the business that when I give my impression of a match it holds a little more merit that say, "Joe Blow" that just started a site. It is also ironic that some matches that I enjoy so much - the guys actually in the bout are disappointed. This seems to hold true more when it is just a big brawl - as a good worker does not get to feel what is going on with the fans and they don't see it as actually working. Also please take note that a match featuring say Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle might get a [****] rating and I give one of the local matches the same rating. Does it mean it was good as the Angle/Joe bout?? No it does not - you just have to put everything in perspective of the level of talent comparable to the level of talent in the "big time". I am an independent Memphis Wrestling guy and the stars are all above that level of work.

----The buzz and rumors are rabid right now about new TV wrestling shows. I am hearing things coming from all directions. Some of it is true and some of it has not been approved yet. Where does this put all the local talent?? If every thing falls into place, then the last quarter of the year is going to be a fun time for the workers and fans in this area. There is the potiental of two wrestling shows airing in Tennessee featuring some of the same talent. The talent that looks like will end up on both shows are Kevin White, Derrick King, Brian Christopher and Jerry Lawler. Where does this leave guys like Johnny Dotson and "Too Kool 2" [Flex/Tim Grind]?? I have no idea. Brian C has been mentioned as helping with booking for both TV shows?? That just seems strange to me from a guy that has the track record he does with dealing with people. Guys like DK and White or even bring in a guy like Ken Wayne to help seem to be tons better. Here is my biggest wish when it comes to this two shows - they get an announcing team that calls the matches. Brian Thompson and Michael Ward are two the best in this area - contact them and work out a deal - they can help get your talent over, instead of getting themselves over like that clown Corey Maclin. Also, please try to give Kevin White vs DK or Stan Lee a 20 minute match on TV!!

-----Dustin Starr and I don't always agree. He has done things in this business that I would never do. Whether you like him or not, he has also done things in this business that many just dream about. He recently blogged on "When Opportunity Knocks" and I thought it was a great read. There are so many guys out there that WANT it so BAD and then there are guys that think they just DESERVED IT. I have been told two to three names of guys [and I am not posting them - because I would have had to be on the other end of a phone conversation to confirm this] that just had the opportunity to do the TNA security gig, but either refused or just acted like they didn't have the time. What?? If you decided you were too important to work security for TNA and be seen on a PPV and backstage in front of a lot of important people - then you DESERVE NOTHING. I hope you NEVER get a break in this business - I hope it goes to a guy that works his ass off trying to make something of himself. Thumbs up to all the guys that did the TNA show - thanks for being smart and not letting an opportunity pass you by.