Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Piece of My Mind June 21st, 2008 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


I understand that by the end of the month two long time and well respected WWE employees Bob Collins and Ed Kaufman will be leaving the company. I do not remember meeting either of these gentleman but the people I know who are aware of these people find them to be outstanding and competent people. One has to wonder if this is a message that things are not great in the WWE offices. If not why let valuable people like this leave if they want to move on why is that? It could mean nothing but one has to think. I couldn’t believe it when Ed Cohen who helped give me my start in the business left; he was with the company since it was in South Yarmouth, MA. These people helped make a strong foundation for a company. I am aware that all things have a begin date and an end date but sometimes the end dates come prematurely.

I can remember years ago watching the WWF week in and week out. I can remember once a year you would see Fred Blassie’s men go to the ring but without him. I don’t know if he was on vacation or it was just an angle to keep him off TV. It was always said that he was on a world tour to find new talent. I think that it’s time that Vince did the same thing. Somewhere out there has to be the next Rock or Stone Cold or Hulk or Bruno Sammartino at this point I might take the next Bob Backlund.

How long can a person work at the same job without a break? How do you get a fresh perspective when you’re in so deep you can’t see the light of day? What about Vince and Johnny Ace running around the country or better yet the world and trying to find that diamond in the rough. It sure isn’t happening in the developmental territory. It’s just a thought but if the mountain isn’t coming to you why not try and go to the mountain.

If you are going to give away the kind of money Vince is giving away each week. Why not give away $1.000.000.00 dollars to one person. In today’s day and age the kind of money being given away you can get from going on some game show and answering a few questions. I bet the WWE could have gotten a lot more main stream publicity from using this money differently. I am not saying the money give away is a bad thing but I think that the whole deal was miscalculated and not executed as well as it could have been for all involved.

Doesn’t TNA appear to be quietly making their move? I sense that things are looking up for TNA. If they can find momentum and embrace it they could be on their way to achieving their goal.

The picture in this article was taken at a spot show in NY before the Samoans went to the ring. It’s Afa in the picture with me. If I remember correctly they were going around with The Invaders (Jose Gonzalez and Johnny Rivera) at the time. The shirt I am wearing was given to me personally by Vince McMahon. I had been wearing a shirt from Pro Wrestling Illustrated (Apter Mags) and Vince had just barred all of them and anyone else from the buildings. He insisted I take off my shirt and I said I didn’t have any other he instructed the concession guys to give me one of the ones they were selling. It started way back then building the brand.

This has been a piece of my mind