Friday, September 05, 2008

Wildside Responds...

----I posted part of a blog post this week from area worker Maxx Corbin and said I would give anyone else a chance to respond. TIWF worker Wildside post the following on the Kayfabe Board.

Wildside’s first ever Blog!!!!
These statements I have made are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect those of the TIWF, it’s staff, fans or members.
Where has the days of New Breed gone?
Seems like a lifetime ago… but I can still recall the names. Preacherman, Small Money Change, Daddy Big Bucks, Mysterio, Solomon Grungee, Weezer Lobo, Savage Dragon, Mighty Bearcat, El Borricua, Mexican Commander just to name a few. It was a unique time back in those days. A wrestling federation where no one had egos, everyone chipped in for the better of the show. No one took pay; instead they invested it back into the federation that they loved. There wasn’t bickering in the back. No one cared if they won or loss. No one cared if the held the belt or not. No one cared if they had to open the show or not. It was ok if they had to wrestle more than once. It was ok if they didn’t get to wrestle at all. It was ok if you missed a spot in the ring. It was ok if you missed your cue. It was ok if they played the wrong music for you… heck you still came out.
In reality everyone was the booker. Everyone had input because no one idea is EVER perfect. It was a non-tense easy going locker-room. Everyone cleaned up after the show. Everyone was on the ring crew and street team. We had fun.
It wasn’t about us. It was about “ THE SHOW”. It was about putting on a great show for great fans.
I always contort back to the “New Breed Mentality” as I call it, quite often. I find almost all workers today do not have that mentality. I am always searching, but I know it is in vain. So…. What is the New Breed Mentality?
Well in simple terms it’s putting the promotion first. It’s being dedicated to the fans to ensure they receive a great show. It’s giving your best, but understanding that no one is perfect. It’s a loyalty and respect among your wrestling buddies. It’s a respect for the fans. So, where have those New Breed days gone?

EGOS:The first problem that I see are egos. I have personally called individuals out on it when I see it. Especially in the guys I think that are better than that and yes you know who you are.
I have seen talent recently that got upset because they didn’t win the tag team belts when they were suppose too. I mean c’mon get real… are you serious? I have had people want to walk out of a show because they were booked first match. And I watched them leave.
I’ve seen worker get upset that they only got $9 instead of $10. I’ve seen workers get upset that the federation doesn’t want to feed all 19 members of their immediate family for free! I’ve seen workers that sweet talk the booker so that they don’t have to lose. I’ve seen people leave promotions without dropping the belts because they don’t want to lose. I’ve seen people get upset if angles didn’t work out quite right because of miscommunication or what have you. I’ve seen people wait until there music was played, even though they didn’t bother to make it easy on the guy doing sound and hand it to him with their name on it before the show. Oh yeah what about just showing up to the show on time? Everyone knows people in their federation that has the egos, wouldn’t it be much better without them in the promotion at all?
It’s not about winning or losing you morons. It’s not real. Get over it. Who cares if you win a belt… EVER????

Non Egos:On The flip side of this….It takes a big person to stand up and say they are not the best when everyone around them claims to be. I can admire Tim Edwards for doing just that. On many occasions he has stated that he knows that he is not the best and has gotten jeered for being honest. I was amazed at the lack of respect that the average joe blow wrestler gives these days. Ok maybe Tim doesn’t deserve your respect. Ok I’m fine with that…. IF not then why? He does his very best and gives it his all for the crowd. He knows he isn’t in the best shape or has all the moves or knows all there is to know. But, he does care about the show and the business. Now granted, I’m not with him every weekend, and maybe he’s not like he seems on the net or the few times I’ve been around him. But, irregardless, until he shows me different, Tim you do have some peoples respect.


CLICK HERE to read rest of the blog along with comments about the subject by others.