Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Thompson Perspective by Brian Thompson 1.04.09

Welcome to my first column for 2009 here at RasslinRiotOnline!!! I hope everyone is enjoying the new year.

This week, I want to touch on a number of topics. Most of my discussion comes as a result of points brought up during the recent series of dialogue between Dustin "Five" Starr and "3G" Eric Wayne.

Paying Your Dues
Let's be realistic here. Paying your dues in professional wrestling is not what it used to be. Neither is professional wrestling for that matter. At one time, it was next to impossible to get a break without having the right connection. Watch any shoot interview or even WWE documentary with stars from the past and you will find that their in-roads to wrestling were much different and much more brutal in a lot of cases. Under the old guard NONE of us paid dues.

Even Hulk Hogan had his leg broken by Hiro Matsuda to see if he had the "heart" to make it. Today, that kind of thing would be grounds for lawsuits.

I've even wondered if I truly "deserved" to get the break I got. The promoter who broke me into the business in the St. Louis, MO area more or less just opened the door for me.

We all have different stories of breaking into the business. Some guys have the added bonus of being brought into the business by members of our family who preceded us. But just as easy as it is to label an "Eric Wayne" because of his family ties, I don't think we all realize the ADDED pressure that being a second or third generation wrestler can put onto a person. No matter what you do, it is because of your "dad" or "brother." Look at the Von Erichs, Erik Watts, Jeff Jarrett, Brian Christopher. They all had to endure that sort of thing.

I've been around Eric Wayne for the better part of five years. He's always been respectful to me. Does he have an "attitude?" Of course. I don't think it primarily has to do with being in the wrestling business. A lot of it has to do with being a male in his early 20's. Those of us who are in our late 20's or older have probably mellowed somewhat. He'll change to a degree as he ages.

Being a member of a wrestling family will pay certain dividends for him. No doubt. But he has worked hard. In the summer of 2003, I went to workout with Eric and Ken at a gym in Memphis. Needless to say, I couldn't move my arms for a couple of weeks. Now I'm exaggerating, but not be too much. Eric, even five years ago, was working to get his body into shape. Look back at my report detailing yesterday's Memphis Wrestling TV show. Phil Hickerson, Joe Leduc, Fire and Flame didn't have bodybuilder physiques. That was okay .... then. Eric realizes that now it takes the added value of the look of an athlete to make it and he's worked hard on his body well before he started training in the ring.

So, just because a guy doesn't pay the same dues as someone else doesn't make him any less worthy of a shot. This is a day and age where wrestlers have come from "Tough Enough" and "Diva" competitions. Two of the top stars in the WWE today, The Miz and John Morrison, are products of "Tough Enough." They had the "easy" break, but have made the most of it. No reason to hate on them for that.

Getting paid or not
A point in all the dialogue was made about Eric ALWAYS working for money. What a prick! Seriously, I can see how some might get a little hot that he has never not worked for money and many of us have worked for free. That's our fault.

When I started in St. Louis, the very first night I got paid. Every time I announced up there, I was paid a guarantee. It wasn't making me rich by any means, but I was always appreciative. It wasn't until I came to this area that I was in the position of not getting paid. Sad huh?

I think if more people in the business would take the stance of, if you don't pay we don't play, things might be a little better in that regard. There are always exceptions to the rule if you are working for someone you trust who will pay off in the long run, but bottom line is this...would you work a 9 to 5 job for nothing? "Hey man, I can't pay you because we didn't sell enough merchandise this week." Do you know how many employers would LOVE that scenario?

Memphis TV and WWE gigs
So far, this column will look like I'm pro Eric 100 percent. That is not the case. As a matter of fact, based on the blogs at Dustin Starr's World of Wrestling, I would say I fall somewhere in the middle. I can see the points made on both sides.

Eric and Dustin made a few comments regarding working Memphis TV. Dustin said something to the effect that working the show was credibility to the boys in WWE and Eric countered that it hasn't been credible in years.

Well, let me fall again somewhere in between here. Is working Memphis TV as credible today as it was in 1988? Of course not. It's not even nearly as credible as it was in 1998, but it is still exposure or at least was when they did original shows. You can back this argument up by looking at the gates featuring Memphis TV stars such as Dustin, Derrick King, Kevin White, etc. before they entered the re-run phase. Now, it's not going to cause instant sellout, but it certainly doesn't hurt to promote your show as featuring "Channel X TV Stars." Plus, it would always produce a much better promotional tape to send to the WWEs, TNAs, etc. than a bunch of matches filmed in dark buildings with an old camera on a tripod.

As for working gigs such as a security spot for WWE, I see this in two ways. It is certainly a neat experience. You get to see how things are done backstage and that alone can be valuable for future reference. But, it doesn't make you any better or worse than anyone else. Also, it's a payday. I've heard varying amounts of what it pays and I must say, it might not be a bad gig to be a "WWE fake security guy" every day. Hey! Maybe I'm on to something (lol).

When it comes to putting over someone, that doesn't matter. You did what you were told to do. If Vince McMahon was paying me, I would lose to Hobo Jim if that is what he asked. He's the boss. He's paying. Do the gig. Will that win or loss, make you or break you? Nah. Now if we are back in the days of USWA or even Power Pro, I wouldn't advise doing the security gig or meaningless match because then it would kill your worth on those shows. But, going back to those days, you were typically paid a weekly check by those companies. Again, different time and situation totally.

Using Dustin Starr
I've said it many times. I'd use Dustin Starr in a heartbeat if I ran a company. He has that "it" factor. I won't rehash what I've said before.

Anyway, I was reading one of the local message boards and saw comments about how Dustin has ticked off all promoters and they won't use him. They even brought up N.E.W. I'm pretty sure we'll see Dustin back in the future despite the dialogue with Eric. Unlike some, Ken Wayne is ALL about business at the end of the day. Some have dogged the unbeaten streaks of Eric Wayne and Kid Nikels. I know we live in a national wrestling world where an angle starts in one segment and ends five minutes later. Remember the good, old days when angles were built over time? Could something like that be happening here? It just may be. But of course, it's not. It's just putting "trainees" over at the expense of others. Couldn't be any kind of long range booking could it?

Back to my business point prior to my brief tirade. I think Dustin will be back. Ken thinks highly of him. Despite disagreements he may have with Eric, Ken knows Dustin brings a lot to the table. That is why he will use him. That is true business. We can agree to disagree and co-exist. Do you LOVE all of your co-workers? I bet not. But you know people who do a good job and deserve to have that job regardless of any personal differences you may have.

I'm done. Hope you've enjoyed! Take care and keep voting in the RRO Awards balloting.

(Brian Thompson may be reached at bptbookings@yahoo.com)