Sunday, August 23, 2009

Memphis Wrestling TV Report 8.15.09

----D-Rock posted this over at www.wrestlngnewscenter.com this weekend. This is last week's show and I plan to have ratings up early this week.

Corey Maclin kicked off the show, announcing that Memphis Wrestling is returning to the Delta Fair & Music Festival on Saturday, September 5th, with a 7:30 bell time. When you purchase your admission to the fair, the wrestling is included. Corey has a feeling that it's going to be another BIG, BIG night of Memphis Wrestling. Corey said they'll be telling us about all that action in the weeks to come. Coming up on the program, we'll take a look at Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart's feud with "The Universal Heartthrob" Austin Idol, a recent battle royal that took place at the high school in Union City, Tennessee, we'll open the vaults of Memphis Classic Wrestling and take a look at Plowboy Frazier.

Video of Jerry "The King" Lawler sitting at his desk, campaigning to become Mayor of Memphis. Here's what Jerry had to say: Hi, Everybody! I'm Jerry Lawler. Wanted to come out here for just a minute and say a couple of things that I feel that I need to get clarified, if you will. I guess, unless you've been living under a rock for the last few weeks, you probably know by now that the city of Memphis is gonna have a special election October 15th to elect a new Mayor. And I, Jerry Lawler, am gonna be on the ballot, in the race. And as I said, one of the things that I wanna clarify is the face that I am definitely gonna be running for the office of Mayor of Memphis. This is a serious campaign. It's not a publicity stunt. And that's I guess my major hill to climb in this race. Is getting the people of Memphis to take my campaign serious. Now, I'm not a politician. We know that. I don't wanna be a politician. People ask me, "Well, then, why do you wanna be the mayor?" My answer to that question is, it's not that I wanna be the mayor. I think that's what politicians want. Politicians want that title of being a mayor or a congressman, or a senator. They want that position of power. And that's not what I want. I don't want to be the mayor, I just want a better city. You know, Memphis is my hometown. I was born and raised, right here, and I've had the opportunity, you know, with my career and my life to live anywhere in this country or anywhere in the world that I've wanted to, but I've chosen to stay, right here, because I love this city, my hometown. But when I look around and see what it's become, I just say, you know, it's time that somebody steps up to the plate and tries to bring about a change. And you know, to me it's like the old saying, if you keep on doing what you been doing, you gonna keep on getting what you been getting. And for years, we go to the polls and we vote for these politicians, who have got us where we are today. And are we better off than we were ten years ago, twenty years ago? I mean, you know, crime is rampant in our streets. Our city schools are in a abysmal state. And as I look at the field of politicians, who are gonna run for the office of mayor, after Mayor Herenton is out. I don't see one ounce of difference in any one of these career politicians. They'll run the city the same way that it's been run. And I'm offering simply an alternative. I'm saying, why can't this city be run like a business? Why can't someone use some common sense in the office of mayor. You know, it's an administrative job. Why can't we elect someone who will hire qualified people, not create jobs, not creat positions just to give out the paychecks to your friends and family and cronies. That's what politicians do! And it's time that we as Memphians change that. Now, I'm gonna come back a little bit later on in the show and I wanna continue talking to you, but I just wanted to stop by and make everyone realize that this is a serious campaign. I'm taking this very serious. And I'm gonna need your help. I'm gonna need a lot of help and I'm gonna be back in just a little bit to ask you more. Thank you.

Corey reminded everyone about the upcoming show at the Delta Fair & Music Festival on September 5th. For more information on the Delta Fair & Music Festival, visit www.deltafest.com. Corey said they will be sharing more with us in a couple weeks. Corey also guaranteed that they are gonna have some big names coming in.

Classic footage of the bitter feud between Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart and "The Universal Heartthrob" Austin Idol. This was some good stuff, right here. I found these videos on YouTube. Enjoy!



Video of a recent battle royal from Union City, Tennessee, that featured Jerry "The King" Lawler, "The Birdman" Koko B. Ware, "The New Nature Boy" Kevin White, and Too Cool 2's Tim Grind, as well as a few others that I couldn't tell because of the camera angle. The camera angle was far away from the ring. I kept waiting on it to zoom in, but it never did. Referee Kellen James was on the outside of the ring, trying to maintain order. The final four were Jerry, Koko, Kevin and Tim. As the Union City Connection (Koko & Tim) tried to eliminate Kevin, Jerry snuck up behind them and eliminated both Koko and Kevin at the same time. Following the elimination, Koko got on the mic and told Lawler: You cheated, Jerry Lawler! You no good dirty dog! You a dirty rat, you know that! You a stinkin' rat! You ain't nothing, but a cheater and you know what? You cheat all the time! I beat you fair and square! That's alright! We got a Union City Alum! (Talking about Tim Grind) Union City Alum take care of Jerry Lawler for me! Tim! Tim! Tim! The Union City crowd got behind their hometown hero. Tim Grind ended up throwing Lawler over the top-rope and getting the win. Following the match, Corey said that the main event from that show was a match between Koko B. Ware and Jerry Lawler. Corey mentioned that they had the cameras rolling for that one, as well, and maybe they'll bring us it in the weeks to come. Corey added that there might be a little bit of heat between "The King" and "The Birdman".

Corey talked about "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart and his First Family, while showing highlights from his match from AutoZone Park, where he teamed with Koko to face the team of local radio personality, Thaddeus Matthews and his mystery partner, Porkchop Cash, who ended up turning on Matthews and reuniting with fellow First Family members, Ware and Hart. Corey said that there was some big action that took place in Charlotte, North Carolina, involving Lance Russell, Dave Brown, Jimmy Hart, and "The Fabulous One" Jackie Fargo. Corey added that they will show us some of that action, next week or so. I assume this was from the NWA Fanfest in Charlotte.

They open the vaults of Memphis Classic Wrestling, highlighting Plowboy Frazier as he teamed with "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton to take on the team of Terry Taylor and Stagger Lee. The stipulations of the match was Stagger Lee's mask vs Plowboy Frazier's hair. Jimmy Hart was also involved in the contest. Plowboy and Bobby lost and they showed the clip of Mr. Coffee shaving Plowboy's head. Jimmy Hart nailed Stagger Lee with a big bag of powder and Plowboy, Eaton, and Hart jumped both Lee and Taylor. Plowboy pulled Stagger Lee's mask off. The referee, Paul Morton, got knocked down and suffered a big leg drop from Plowboy Frazier.

A look back at Memphis Wrestling at the Delta Fair featuring "Superstar" Bill Dundee vs "The New Nature Boy" Kevin White with Dundee getting the win after White made a nonchalant pin attempt that Dundee countered into a rollup to get the three count.

More from Jerry "The King" Lawler about running for Mayor of Memphis: Hey, Everybody! Jerry Lawler back with you, again, to talk a little bit more about my campaign for the office of mayor. Special election is going to be October 15th. There will probley be twelve to fifteen names on the ballot. Most of which will be career politicians. And then, you will see Jerry Lawler's name. Now, all of these politicians will say, well as a matter of fact, Myron Lowery has already came out last week and said, "Well, I think that Jerry Lawler's campaign is just a publicity stunt." As a matter of fact, he even jokingly challenged me to a wrestling match. Well, if this were a wrestling match, not one candidate on the ballot would have a chance. It would be real easy for me. But, it's not wrestling. This is real life and our city has some real problems. And the politicians, well, they have their way of dealing with the problems and you see where we are. I mean, we all know that politicians will tell you exactly what you wanna hear until they're elected. And then, tell me how many follow through on their promises? And the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing, over and over, but expecting a different result. And we keep voting for these career politicians and I guess we expect one of them to turn out to be honest and keep their promise. It's not going to happen. So, that's why I'm in this race. And that's why I'm gonna need your help. I feel that I am the only person in this race that has an opportunity to run this city like a business. If our city government leaders were running a business, they'd been fired years ago. I mean, you cannot spend more money than you take in, but our politicians do. They think they know how to spend our money better than we do. So they tax us to high heaven and they give our money away, as they see fit. That's not what I'm gonna be about. In 1999, I ran for the office of mayor. I came in third out of a field of twelve. I spent a total of 19,000 dollars. Got about 19,000 votes. Mayor Herenton spent 1.2 million dollars and got about 70,000 votes. Now, common sense would tell you that when someone spends 1.2 million dollars to get a job that pays 150,000 dollars a year, well, they either are going to owe somebody 1.2 million dollars worth of favors or they expect to make more than 1.2 million dollars at that job. So, that brings us to one of the things that this race is about. One of the disadvantages I'm gonna have is, you know, I am not comfortable asking people for money for donations. I understand that A C Wharton already has a half a million dollar war chest. That's money that he's gonna spend to buy advertising billboards, television commercials and that sort of thing. You know, we are embarking on an attempt to do some fundraising. As a matter of fact, we have a website, www.JerryLawler2009.com. If you check out that website, you are gonna see some information. We got a fundraiser, coming up, this week, as a matter of fact and I would love to have everyone come and be a part of it. But, it's www.JerryLawler2009.com. That's gonna give you all the information about our upcoming fundraisers, how you can help out, how you can register to vote. If you're not registered, that is so important! Go right on that website and it'll show you with one click of the button how to register to vote. And I'm gonna be back here, again, next week and we're gonna be talking more about this and like I said, Memphis, you guys, have made me who I am today. I have you to thank for that. And now, I'm asking you to help me one more time so that I in turn can help you and help our city get back to where it used to be. I mean, I remember when this was the cleanest city in America. I can remember when we weren't afraid to walk down the streets at night. We didn't worry about being carjacked or having our homes broken into. And we can get back to that. It can be done. With common sense and with the right kind of leadership. And that's what I'm offering here with this campaign. Thank you and I'll see you, again, next week. Don't forget, www.JerryLawler2009.com.

Corey Maclin plugged his radio show that airs on Monday mornings from 8am-9am on KWAM 990. You can also listen live on the internet at KWAM990.com. This past Monday, Jerry "The King" Lawler was his special guest.

Corey Maclin hopes you'll join him back here on Saturday at 11:00am on My50.