Monday, July 12, 2010

My World - Maxxed Out "Nothing Lasts Forever..Except on the Internet" by Maxx Corbin

----Corbin has a good mix of stuff here for the July column.  I do agree with him on the weight loss thing.  I kept posting stuff on FB, so it is like someone is looking over your shoulder all the time.  For those interested in weight loss and my progress, you can join Maxx and me on FB by CLICKING HERE.

So, there is a lot of things going on in the world. As Garth Brooks would say the winds of change are blowing. Nothing lasts forever…Except internet post… apparently.

I got to thinking today about how much the internet has changed life as we all know it. When I was a kid I went to JB Young Elementary. In 1992 the consolidated the school system and sent me to Denmark Elementary. Some of my friends were sent to Malesus Elementary and some to New South. I lost contact with about 75 % of those guys that next year even though the schools were all about 20 miles apart at the maximum. Now days thanks to social networks, there is no separation from you and anyone. I have family members that live out of state that I know everything about. 10 years ago we would have just lost touch. In the past 2 weeks I have learned that if you post something on the internet….people see it!


Since February I have been on a strict workout program. I have lost about 65 lbs in that time. I feel like a new person (maybe because I lost the weight of a small person). During my trips to the gym I would post messages on my facebook profile ( which is http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/richard.mullikin
add me...lol) telling people of my struggles, diet, etc. I once heard that if you start a diet and tell a bunch of people that you are on a diet, you’ll stick to it. So, I went with it. Anyways, it got to the point where people were coming up to me in places I hung out asking me what I was down to…Seriously, I had people stop me in Wal-Mart and tell me that they were tracking my progress and to keep it up. I once had a server at a bar tell me that the nachos I just ordered was gonna screw up my diet.

I promoted a show at the school I worked at back in May. I did what a lot of promoters do and booked myself in a title match. I figured it would be something for the kids at the school to get behind and make them want to come out and see. I was right…in a way.. I posted the results and the video on facebook though, and now I have people at the gym calling me champ and asking me when my next title defense is….I really didn’t think that through I guess. Maybe I should say I lost the belt or something..lol. My point here is be aware of what you post on the internet. Whether your calling out a former promoter for how crappy he was, talking about everyday life, or showing up drunk at a show and mooning the front row…lol Everyone sees it!

Tag teams

As most of you know I’m pretty much known for being in a tag team. Me and Myles have tagged for the better part of 5 years as the team known as Genocide. We made lots of friends and a few enemies along the way but during the time we were a tag team we traveled all over the place together. We went from Memphis to Ripley to Illinois to Mississippi. We shared a lot of memories and a lot of great times together. We lived the dream that we talked about in the 3rd grade and that was becoming pro wrestlers. At one time I dropped out of the business for a while, then, after about a year or 2, I was thinking about getting back in. Myles told me he wanted to get in too, so I pulled him in with me. We worked a few places with more workers than fans for a while, but having a friend in an unfamiliar place was great and it renewed me and my love for wrestling.

Being in a tag team is like being in a marriage. No truer words have ever been spoken. Tag teams are basically a married couple. One of the things me and Myles would here when we were working singles was “Where is your partner?” Heck, when we worked for Memphis and Myles had to do his shoot job, Corey wouldn’t put me on tv as a single and would always ask where my partner was(Like I would try to tag out or something when I got in trouble…or like I had never worked singles before in my life). Ultimately, I would sit on the sidelines and watch the monitors in the back, because I was a tag wrestler and my partner wasn’t with me. As a tag, you live and die by what the other does in the ring. Myles would get yelled at for stuff I did in the ring and vice versa. Sometimes you transfer heat to each other, you argue with each other, you laugh with each other, suffer being phased out together, experience the highs of being at the top of a push together, etc. Everything you do is together. So, I say in all sincerity, being in a tag is like being in a marriage (except you are not expected to dress alike in a marriage.)

It may be news to some people but Genocide has somewhat quietly broken up. Myles is working on his own and I on mine. Are we still friends? Yes, I think so. Even if we are not as close as we once were we are still friends in my book. If it wasn’t for the other, neither would be in the business today. Myles was the first person to catch me coming through the curtain at the last match I had with CJ. He hugged me and told me it was the best match of my career. That meant a lot to me. Even though the tag is on hiatus for a while, I know we wish nothing but the best for each other. If you get the chance to see Maxx Corbin or the Albino Rhino in action take it. If you are a promoter out there looking for a big guy to bring in, call the Albino Rhino. I promise it will be worth it. If nothing else is taken from this column I want the fact that the last 5 years of wrestling has been a blast working with a friend. Who knows what the future holds for us both. But as we both go on as singles workers, all I can say is thanks for everything Myles.

On another note I will be receiving my degree this August in Computer Information Systems. If some of you are wondering why you haven’t seen me on any cards lately, that is the reason. I took a crash course online that crammed 4 years of school into a year and a half. I had 8 to 9 classes for 3 trimesters for the past year and a half. So, when this wrestling thing craps out, I have a fallback plan…lol. Not that wrestling has ever paid the bills. I started to do the BT math on money I had spent on the business and stopped because I became depressed..lol. So, if you have computer trouble give me a call.

Things have registered with me lately; more so than before. The columns by TGB and Bruno have really hit home for me this week. 1. Because I’ll be 27 this year and 3 years closer to 30. And 2.becauce I feel like I have been playing the part and not working toward a goal in wrestling. I don’t want to be a recreational wrestler! This is the year I start to make a name for myself! Just like the diet theory I have (the one where you tell everyone your plan to lose weight….I talked about it earlier)I plan on making myself a better wrestler. Whether it be putting time in at the gym, or in the ring at practice, I want to be a major guy in the area! So this is my proclamation, I WILL GET BETTER AND I WILL WORK TO BE ONE OF THE TOP GUYS IN THIS AREA! Now the work begins!

Until next time guys,
Maxx Corbin

----Born Richard Mullikin, Maxx Corbin is a 7 year pro in wrestling and provides RRO with a monthly column. While growing up in Bemis,TN as a kid, he had no cable and lived week to week on the wrestling tapes he got from family and friends. He likes to think he has a great since of humor and makes light of tense situations. This is why he no longer works at the local hospital. He enjoys playing video games, stand up comedy, and music that very few have a taste for. He won an award in his middle school technology class for building a small bridge out of hobby wood. The bridge held 55lbs. He graduated from his high school with a 3.4 gpa. He was super bad ass at WCW vs NWO World Tour on N64(usually taking out opponents during Jerry Springer commercial breaks).