Wednesday, March 04, 2009

NEW's John Steele Wins Radio Journalist of The Year


PRESS RELEASE

ASU - Jonesboro: College of Communications students win awards

John Steele [pictured on the right above with Downtown Bruno and Brian Thompson], a radio-television major at Arkansas State University, was chosen Best of the South 2008 Radio Journalist of the Year by the Southeastern Journalism Conference (SEJC), Feb. 12-14 in Nashville, Tenn. Senior journalism major Sarah Morris placed third at SEJC in the Best of the South 2008 Journalist of the Year competition at the same conference. Herald adviser Bonnie Thrasher, who serves as secretary-treasurer of SEJC,
accompanied the students to Nashville.

----Apparently this is a big deal for ASU. Arkansas State University [which graduated other fine upstanding wrestling personalities - Brian Tramel and Brian Thompson] beat some of the big boys in this competition

University of North Carolina
University of Maryland
Kent State University
Uinversity of Arizona
Arizona State University
James Madison University

among several others who competed for this award.

----Steele had the following to say...

I'm very honored and humbled. Arkansas State has a fantastic communications department. I am very happy that national exposure has come to Arkansas State. I thank everyone who has supported me past and present. By name I of course thank my wife Jennifer, who has been a great support to me. I also thank by name Dr. Pitts who entered my class in the competition. Thanks to my reporting for electronic media class, who helped make me get better at this craft. Thanks to Mr. Doyle and the staff at KASU for letting me see the public radio side of things. I also thank everyone at the Ken Wayne School of Professional Wrestling. Ken has continued to allow me to be involved in New Experience Wrestling despite my shortcomings and let me remain fresh and in practice on the tapings. Brian Thompson also deserves thanks for helping me raise my own standard. Overall I make no Sean Penn statement, yet I am not cocky about it. It is what it is and I am honored. Thanks to everyone.

Photo by: Donna Partee