Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Straight Flush "Success" by Pokerface

Success -

In this industry we call wrestling, what really is the definition of success? Is it about making a lot of money? Is it about winning titles? Is it about being all over TV? I don't feel there is a simple answer to this question. If you ask five different people, you may get five different answers. So I'll give you my take.

I feel being successful at anything is matter of happiness. So I guess it depends on what an individual values. I personally don't put an extreme value on money and possessions. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy nice things and having money in the bank and in my pocket. However, money and things don't define me. And I raise my son in that manner. When it comes to wrestling, for the most part, I never really cared if I was the champion. I never really cared whether or not somebody was getting more than me. I knew at least most of the time if somebody other than a top name got more than me, it was political. Been there, still dealing with that. So what makes me happy? Enjoying what I do, and being able to make a difference on any given show. It doesn't matter if I'm at the top of the pay list or not.

I mentioned making a difference on a show. When I'm the fifth match and the first four were snooze fest, and I can, along with my opponent, wake the crowd up, then I'm successful. Some guys feel that always winning makes them a success. NOT TRUE. If you won every match, but the the crowd doesn't connect with you, then you mean nothing. Even though you win, you really are a loser. If you are a good guy, and you cause a little girl in the front row to cry because the bad guy is kicking your ass, then you are successful. If you are a bad guy, and you generate so much heat that you almost or do cause a fight, without being cheap,  you are successful. If you can make the fans believe in you, your opponent, and what you do, you are successful.

I feel the two main steps on the way to being successful is having a love and passion for the business. Now you may feel the two are one in the same. I don't think so. We all know what the love part is about, but I feel the passion is about loving what you do and willing and looking for ways to be better so you can love it more. A lot of guys love the business, but few have the passion for it. That's why, ability wise, a lot of us are the same as we were five years ago.

So in closing I don't feel that money, titles, ring rats, etc.. make you successful. Enjoying what you, loving what you do, having a passion for what you do, making a difference by what you do, makes you successful. OOPS ! I almost forgot the most important thing, if you ain't putting more asses in the seats, ain't none of us as successful as we think. No matter what I said earlier. So until next time, God bless, and keep your pimp hand strong!