Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Golden Circle: "Basketball Practice Macho Man Style" by Greg Anthony

----The new edition of "The Golden Circle."


Wrestling is my first love, I think we all know that. However for a period in time, basketball was just as much as a passion for me. Thinking back on it now I always liked basketball, I remember being 5-6 years old and going outside at my Grandma's on my father's side and playing for hours on end, not making a single shot. It really wasn't until I was in 6th grade that I really started to fall in love with the game. Just like everything else in my life, wrestling always seem to creep in somehow.

"The Trendsetter" Jon Michael and I have known each other for years. We are talking since elementary school. I am a few years older than he but we were on the basketball team together in junior high and high school. Sometimes its hard to bullshit someone that knew you when you were a pimple faced little kid. You can't over exaggerate stories from school because we have each other there to keep us honest.  The story I'm fixing to tell is 100% true and not at all exaggerated.

I approach things I love the same. So the same went for basketball, I was usually the first one there and the last one to leave. One late afternoon after school, Jon Michael and I were playing a game of one on one. I can't remember who was winning, probably me. The bleachers were pushed back and the ball bounced and landed on top of them. So Jon went upstairs to climb over the rail to the top of the bleachers to retrieve it. As the future trendsetter was perched 15 feet at least above me, we made eye contact. We were both thinking the exact same thing and said "DO IT!". Jon Michael soared through the air and delivered the best Macho Man double axe handle in the history of Dyer County High School. I took a full fledge bump on the hardwood as Jon crashed behind me. It was awesome until our assistant basketball coach, Coach Starks came up to us and said "What the fuck are you guys doing?" To which without hesitation Jon Michael replied "Macho Man Double Axe Handle". I couldn't keep a straight face and Coach just walked away in disgust.

In my opinion, if you don't have a story like that, you should reconsider being a wrestler. Because you have to love it, live it and be fanatical about it. Kevin Nash in a promo on TNA just said after "X" amount of surgeries I'm in the this business because I love it. That's a valid point, the guys who don't love it, get what they can out of it and leave. Like The Ultimate Warrior. So remember great art comes from a true love and passion for what you are doing. There are plenty of people who can draw but only one Michelangelo. There are plenty of wrestlers but only one Ric Flair, I promise.