Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Memphis Wrestling will always be remembered........

----I got the following e-mail from Carl McCaskey. I post it because it shows how much Memphis Wrestling influenced the whole geographical area. I get letters like this at least once a month. The reader is nostalgic about Memphis Wrestling so much that they like to see what is going on now. I guess this also is why I am so zealous about Memphis Wrestling – being a fan for 29 years makes you that way.

“It will be nice to read up on Memphis wrestling once again. I was born in Clarksdale, MS and lived in Cleveland, MS until 1976. My maternal Grandparents lived in Memphis and when I was old enough; my Granddaddy took me to the television studio shows at WMC from time to time. He was friends with the general manager at WMC so we were allowed in well before the audience was ushered in. So due to that, I got to meet many of the wrestlers in non-kayfabe setting. I was a little kid at the time so Jerry Lawler and even Bill Dundee seemed physically huge to me. I was even allowed to play in the ring a bit from time to time, sometimes with other wrestlers' kids if they brought them in that day. The cable system in Cleveland carried not only WMC but channels in Little Rock, Ark., Jackson, MS and a station from northern Louisiana (Monroe I think). So there were several different wrestling shows during those years. And I watched them all. But the one I loved to watch best was the wrestling on WMC-TV in Memphis.”