Thursday, October 04, 2007

"Coach's Corner" by Brian Tramel

Image generated by TextSpace.net, hosted on ImageShack.us
----I am really happy to see that the readers of this site do have a voice. No matter what I write or what I am offended by, they still have an opinion even though they may not agree with me. During the 90s when the kayfabe wrestling fanzine Wrestling Observer Newsletter became so popular, there was a belief that if Dave Meltzer was a fan of something, then all of his readers were also fans. It would be proven almost every year at the year end awards as many of the readers were just voting for Japanese wrestlers and matches, because Meltzer said they were good. Even though I have been totally against the Sue Young angle, the readers of this site did not feel offended. Why they were not offended?? Well, it’s wrestling. I think that’s a load of crap. That’s not an excuse to make fun of a whole race of people because it is wrestling. Do you see WWE making fun of any of the Diva girls because they might be Asian or black?? I have also heard excuses like “controversy means money” and “people have done it in the past” as excuses. There have been a lot of stupid stuff done in the past, but in the year 2007 it is not going to make you any money making fun of Asian people. Thanks to the 42% of you that agreed with me.

----Have you been to the message board lately?? I try to stop by every few days to just see what is being said and such. I was weary of this board when I first put it up for the fear that it would turn into a board like over at www.hollywoodjimmy.com. There are your occasionally trolls, but all in all I think it has fits right into the site. One of the main topics in the last few days has been about me always putting down Memphis Wrestling. I have said this on the board and a few times here – I love Memphis Wrestling. It is the center piece of my site and I believe when that report is posted every week it is the beginning of the week. Everyone in this area revolves around that show. Do I like the show in general?? Do I think it can be improved? Am I going to quit talking about them when they do something stupid?? Yes, Yes and No!!!

----Kurt Angle is stopped and given a DUI ticket. What the hell was he thinking?? Vince McMahon made a great decision getting rid of him when he did. Angle is one of the greatest wrestlers I have ever seen perform. I think he is over used in TNA, but it does not change the fact that in the last 5 years there has been very few people come close to his workrate. What does TNA need with Congressional hearings coming up?? Do they need a guy that drinks and gets behind a wheel?? What if he had killed someone?? Angle just becomes a poster child for everything that is wrong in the wrestling business. He just gets away with everything, because he is so good.

----ECW is my favorite WWE produced show. It has a more indy feel to it and as I watched the CM Punk vs Mike Knox match this week with an area worker he said, “This is an old school match.” Yes and that is what I like about the show and I like about CM Punk. So, I am watching the show [I don’t read spoilers] and just as Tommy Dreamer wins the match vs Elijah Burke my TIVO goes off. I am assuming that was the end of the show and went on with my business. I read later on the site in the “Top Ten Stories In The Wrestling World” section that Big Daddy V comes out and beats Dreamer and gets the shot. I am all about a heel being a heel, but what were they thinking?? They spend all of this time on TV pushing Dreamer in the “Funk” role to just later funk the fans? I am of the belief that screw jobs hurt more than they help. In no way does the fact that BDV is going against CM Punk help your buy rate. The angle that you used 3 weeks of TV to promote is what helps your buy rate. Wonder why people don’t take stips and such serious anymore??

----My final thought comes from Billy Russ. Russ is the guy that many feel is just a “money mark” behind the XOW promotion. Russ is new to the business, but after the last show did not draw well, he wrote the following

“The 90 people that were in attendance were treated to a very, very good show. I do not know why attendance was so low. Those who stayed home missed a great show. We know you can’t win them all but you can sure have a hell of a time trying an we were real happy with the way it all turned out and can't wait to do it again.”

----Classy guy in my book to not whine like some promoters do about poor attendance or blame other events or people for not drawing a big crowd. In actuality he probably still out drew most of the promotions in this area. My only advice to Russ – find out why you did not draw and correct the problem.

----Thanks for joining me for this Thursday edition of “Coach’s Corner.” Please join me again on Saturday as I discuss more thought provoking subject or just BS. LOL