Monday, October 29, 2007

"Coach's Corner" by Brian Tramel

----No, I am not going to call anyone out here, I am just stating fact. No shows suck. ASWF promoter Aaron Polson had five no shows this last Saturday night, which lead to him have to cancel two of his bouts completely. Hat’s off to Aaron, because it looks like he saved it for the fans, but what makes a worker no show?? I listed all the reasons for the guys not being there on my ASWF report. But, really – not having a ride?? Is that an excuse of not showing up?? When I worked as Coach BT for five years, I missed maybe four of my booked shows. I went to a show in Dresden, TN one night with the driver of the car having to stop every 30 minutes just so I could puke. [And probably got paid $5, so who was the fool there?? LOL] No shows not only hurt you as a worker, but hurt the business in general. If fans show up and expect a certain person to be there and they are not there – they might not come back.

----Although I did not order Cyber Sunday, I would like to say I am a big mark for these shows. Why?? Mainly because it is a shoot on the voting and it has been proven every time they do these sorts of things that the fans vote on different stuff than a normal booker would book. Should the writers take notice?? The most surprising of the votes was The Miz winning over Morrison and Big V. It is obvious that the fans could care less about Big V, even with that huge push, but why not Morrison?? The Miz comes off as the total obnoxious prick, but it looks like he is over. Everyone [including myself] talk tons about the CM Punk and Morrison being the next big thing, but what can be said about the Miz when he gets voted over Morrison?

----Slick G made some good points in his column and it got me to thinking?? Has TNA really messed up the X-Division so much that it really doesn’t matter who is in it?? I always thought that the belt and style made them “different” than the WWE and that would be a good selling point of their show. The show gets on Spike and they slowly kill the division along with adding more and more former WWE stars. It is all about making yourself different to a certain degree to get over. You can go all the way and make a total different promotion or just a slight change putting forth to make yourself noticeable. TNA did that with the X Title and now it doesn’t mean anything. And, yea, it looks like Slick G is right – you could put anyone in those roles now.

----Isn’t it weird how some fans can just get over by posting crap on a message board?? Gene Jackson pointed this out in his last column. This kind of stuff has been going on for years in fandom. In the zine days, I had a guy one time write a letter to Riot about how good a certain worker was and then another guy write how horrible he was. Guess what?? It was the same guy. He actually worked a feud with HIMSELF to put HIMSELF over. It first got everyone talking about the guy and then finally after exposing him..well, he looked like a fool. The net has brought forth a different kind of creature that is referred in many fandom circles as a troll. The troll though on wrestling boards seem to get themselves over to the point that columnists [like myself] are writing about what a prick they are and putting them over more than the local wrestlers. Other trolls will post something good about a wrestler, and then five minutes later post something bad to just keep crap going. A scary thought about all of this is – 95% of the visitors to my site or area message boards are workers in the area. Want to turn the paranoia up a notch?? The next time you are in the dressing room think about the guy next to you – he might be the one posting all the crap about you.

----Conventions – why are they such a disaster?? “The Big Cheese” has covered this a few times, but before Sal ever stepped one foot into Memphis, I knew of his reputation only because of his big conventions. I use to attend wrestling conventions in the 90s and had a blast. I am not going to spend time go over what they do wrong. It makes me wonder though with Memphis being such a historical city for wrestling if an event like this would sell in Memphis today? You could use all the local legends and maybe bring in a team like the Midnight Express and a current star like say a Samoa Joe with all the local talent?? Would that draw?? It would be something I would want to attend.

----Well, that is the end of today’s edition. Join me again on Thursday. Visit the message board and let me know what you think about a convention??