Friday, November 02, 2007

A Piece of my Mind-Nov 2nd, 2007-by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


It appears that the doors in Stamford and Nashville should be of the revolving type. I remember the days when you went to work in a territory and you were there to stay for quite a while. It appears everyday that someone has either left or that someone is on their way out. What does that tell all of us? I believe that it screams out loud and clear that the offices have no idea what will or won’t work. The mood is simple let’s try it, what do we have to lose anyway? When a ship is under water does it matter if you’re an inch under or ten feet? Some might say that it does matter, I say it only matters when and if you start heading back towards the top. At this time TNA and the WWE both don’t seem to be steering a ship. They seem to be steering a submarine. What is the command when you board a submarine SUBMERGE! It’s time to start to surface and trade in the submarine for a boat. If you continue to fall at this pace both companies are going to have a case of the Bends.

FLASHBACK: I can remember one day sitting around with Afa the Wild Samoan at his house on Shepard Ave in Hamden, CT He had recently left the WWE and realized he had forgotten a booking for that night. It was in Manchester, NH well he figured there was no way to make the show. After looking into it we realized it was Manchester, CT not a far drive from Hamden, CT at all. It was a booking for Bob Backlund who had also recently left WWE when they wanted him to turn heel. It was a poor decision on Bob’s part in my opinion. If nothing else he could have been in on the beginning of the Hogan era and made some money. He was always good with his money I had been told and could do what he wanted. Well we made our way to the town and Afa was in a tag match with some Moondog kid. He seemed like a good guy, they were booked against some young kids from New England. They may have even been identical twins. They had never really been anywhere and were very nervous. It was kind of a heel crowd anyway which didn’t make it any easier. Well I watched the match and it seemed ok. The main event was Superstar Billy Graham and Bob Backlund “The Rematch” if you will. There weren’t many people there even then it was all about branding the same two guys that had been with the then WWF headlining MSG could barely draw a few hundred people close to Backlund’s town. He always needed a lot of help to draw and a strong T V. Well, as were driving home Afa said, did you see that kid go down from that chop I hit him with? I said yeah why, he said I told him duck two chops and throw a dropkick, you got it? The kid said yeah he had it. I repeated it again, duck two chops and throw a dropkick, you got it? The kid said yeah he had it. The kid was a nervous wreck and went down like a ton of bricks on the first chop. It seems like such a simple story btw, everyone worked hard, everyone was paid and we got to laugh about that story for many years and I sure am we will again. Oh the joy of simpler times.

If someone gave Stephanie McMahon a little false mustache she could have went trick or treating on Wednesday as a tall Hitler. I can not believe that someone’s personality just turns like this. She has had no success what so ever in her role but yet she wants to control every detail. She appears to be nothing but a tyrant backstage; her people skills seem limited at best. I can only hope that she performs better in the “non-creative” aspects of her job. Is her leadership what Shane and Marissa hopes for the future are hung on? I wonder why Triple H doesn’t get in her ear more, or god forbid he actually does? He was trained by one of wrestling’s great heels Killer Kowalski. I can’t imagine his mentor would support some of the nonsense that WWE puts on television. I realized that times have changed but we must look back at history in some aspect to determine how to go forward. I appreciate the talents of HHH. He works hard but I don’t really see him working smart. It has been said many times that you should hire people that are better than you are. In Stephanie’s case, at least in many aspects of her role, that should be easy to accomplish. Why not assemble a committee of people to come in and throw ideas around. I would suggest Vince, Shane, Stephanie, Kevin Dunn and a few creative people should be involved in experiment. I would make it the non-talent creative people. I would not have Dusty, Michael Hayes or any of those guys involved. We are hearing their opinion already and, I am afraid in to many cases, ignoring it. This should be a fresh perspective from guys who have been a success, if the people you invite are not watching the product send them the last ninety days worth of what you have and let them give you an honest opinion on what they would do. I would take a Bill Watts, Nick Bockwinkle, Afa the Wild Samoan., Jimmy Hart and George Scott. Those are just some names I would consider. You need to make this worth these guys time, they are great minds and if nothing else what you may get is a chance to step back and get a fresh perspective. Now could Vince and Stephanie get in a state of mind to listen openly? That is yet to be seen. They would need to remember one thing. A consultant is there to tell you what you’re doing wrong not to join the KISS MY ASS CLUB. Oh btw there are other names I would consider but I tried to suggest names that I thought would accept the offer.

This picture is taken at the Hu Ke Lau in Chicopee Massachusetts. We were all there one night after Vince ran Springfield, MA. If you aren’t sure who is who from left to right is Iron Mike Sharpe, Big John Studd, Mr. Fuji, Altoa Ripley (Afa’s Cousin a great entertainer who was performing at the club) Afa The Wild Samoan #1 and Samoan #3 Samu. In the front row are Butch Cassidy and Tiger Jackson. Also there that night where Jay and Jules Strongbow, The Iron Sheik, Andre the Giant, and Charley Fulton, It was a great time.

This has been a piece of my mind

If you wish to provide feedback you can email me at salcorrente929@hotmail.com