Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Piece of My Mind -Jan15th, 2007 by "The Big Cheese" Sal Corrente


The word is out that Paul Wight “The Big Show” is headed back to WWE. The speculation is that he may even be the opponent for Triple H next week on RAW. I have a hard time buying into a story line where a man who had his head shoved up someone’s rear end would then have that man be his soldier in a war. I hope this is not the plan, If it is the plan it would be just another example of not paying attention to history. If you are to have a successful company you have to continuity in story lines. If this was my angle to put together I would put Triple H in a handicap match against Big Daddy V and Mark Henry. The thing to do is for Triple H to bring back The Big Show and have him save Triple H. This would be the approach to take and so many other angles could be run off of this situation. This would at least make some sense.

I watched Monday Night Raw last night and last week. It appears that over the last two weeks that three of the top guys in the company are injured. We have Chris Jericho from last week. This week we have Jeff Hardy doing some ridiculous bump that will never draw you a dime. He supposedly did the Swanton Bomb onto Randy Orton. This is clearly another example of insulting people’s intelligence. If anyone believes that Hardy did that dive and landed on Randy Orton they will never read this report because they are not going to be intelligent enough to get to this site. I am sure, like with most things in WWE, the spot and everything else we saw that “entertained” us last night was rehearsed all day long. I hope that the McMahon’s enjoy RAW when they watch it back because I can’t imagine that true fans of wrestling enjoy this stuff.

It was many years ago and some how Verne and Greg Gagne got the idea in their head that I was dealing drugs to the boys. They had a big show at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ and the boys told me that the Gagne’s thought I was bringing drugs to the guys. The whole idea of it was laughable to me and I paid very little attention to it that night. It was a really good show I was only there to hang out with friends. It wasn’t to long after that I used my contacts with Sherri Martel to get a shot in Denver Co as a referee for the local promoter Gene Reed. The promoter had been around for many years and in those days was half a mark himself. Well the situation from The Meadowlands carried over and Greg didn’t want me anywhere near anything. I finally went to Jimmy Snuka and told him what happened and he laughed as well. He knew me for years and knew I was the straightest guy around. He told me to go to Nick Bockwinkel and ask him to intervene and I did. I was glad that Nick went to Greg and explained that they were mistaken and that I was a good guy and a solid referee. Well, Nick came and told me that I could have my tryout in the opening match. I got dressed and went to see Greg who welcomed me to the company and apologized for the confusion but he made it clear that I had been singled out as a dealer and they couldn’t have that around the boys.

I went out and worked the opening match which may have been a time limit draw between the late DJ Peterson and Kevin Kelly (Nailz of WWE fame). When I got back to the dressing room Greg stopped me immediately and thanked me. He asked if I would please help them with the main event. I found out that Denver had some of the worst referee’s locally in the country. They had a big main event that night of Col. DeBeers vs. Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka in a coal mines glove match. I told him that I would and later I found out that the boys went to Greg and insisted he asked me because they felt the local referees couldn’t handle the match. It was an interesting match that involved a second coal miner’s glove, me turning my back at the right time and Snuka beat in the middle of the ring. When I counted to three the arena was dead silent you could hear a pin drop. In those days you didn’t see Jimmy Snuka getting pinned by anyone he was considered unbeatable. I went to the dressing room and was thanked for my efforts. I was told by one of the boys that night that we were very close to a riot. I didn’t understand what he meant because I had never been in that situation. I was told that when people get so quiet like that they are so stunned they could possible riot. Well when we were getting changed Greg Gagne stuck his head in the heel dressing room and let Col DeBeers know that the finish would be changed for the next night. It was Greg’s idea that the fans lost faith in Snuka that night. I don’t know if it was for fear of a riot or because he truly felt that the fans would lose faith in Snuka but the finish was going to be changed.

The picture in this article was taken shortly before Terry Funk,Dory Funk Jr and Mick Foley went to the ring in August of 2005 to face The Midnight Express. It was taken by long time wrestling photographer George Napolitano in Valley Forge Pa.


This has been a piece of my mind