Sunday, July 18, 2010

Turnbuckle Madness - Mo - by George Wren

GW: When were you born?
M: I was born April 13, 1967

GW: Where were you born?
M: Brooklyn, New York

GW: Where are you currently residing at the present time?
M: I currently live and work in Franklin NC.

GW: What is your height and weight?
M: I currently weigh 410 lbs and I`m 5` 10 “ tall

GW: Who trained you?
M: I was trained by Gene Anderson of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew.

GW: What was your training like?
M: My training was extremely hard, Gene didn`t give us anything, we had to work hard for everything we got, and we paid for it. To the tune of more than 3000 dollars.


GW: When you first broke into the business wasn't you working for George South's Pro Wrestling Federation (PWF) in the Carolina's?
M: Initially worked some independent shots for Gene Anderson, then we worked for South Atlantic Pro Wrestling before leaving there to go work for George South and the Itallion Stallion in the PWF.

GW: If I am not mistaken Nelson Frazier (Mabel) was working for George as well?
M: Nelson and I went through wrestling school together, In fact I actually taught him as he was just coming to the school as Gene Anderson was starting a job with the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department, where he later died, during a training class.

GW: Wasn't you guys working as The Harlem Knights for George?
M: Yes we worked as the Harlem Knights while working for George South.

GW: How long did you work for George?
M: We worked for George South almost two years.

GW: Where did you go after PWF?
M: We left the PWF and went to Memphis Tennessee.

GW: You arrived in Memphis (USWA) under the name Bobby Knight along with Nelson (Mable) as The Harlem Knights was you guys under a WWF developmental deal or have any kind of contracts at this point?
M: We arrived in Memphis Tennessee with $40 dollars in our pockets, some cold bologna and cheese puffs, and no deal or promises of a deal from anyone.

GW: How long did you work for Jarrett/Lawler?
M: We worked about three months for Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler.

GW: When did you guys know you was leaving Memphis for the WWF?
M: During the summer of 93 The Moondogs were losing one of their members, so there wasn`t anyone for Mabel and I to work, so Mr. Jarrett got us a tryout with WWF and we signed three days after the tryout and began to receive checks the following week.

GW: What was your first impression when walking through the curtain for your first match with the WWF?
M: I was excited, wasn`t as nervous as I thought I would be, because working in Memphis really prepared us for working in front of crowds, maybe not as big, but crowds never the less.

GW: What was the locker room like?
M: The lockerroom at the time was kind of cool, everyone seemed to get along ok. The only thing that was weird was at the time there was a lot of heat between Matt Borne and Scott Hall.

GW: You were brought in as a "baby" doing a rap type gimmick what was your thoughts of that gimmick compared to the street type harlem gimmick you was use to?
M: The baby face thing was hard,especially when you`d worked your entire time as heels. The best thing about it though, was we learned more about being heels by working as babyfaces.

GW: Was Oscar someone you knew or was he just placed with you?
M: We didn`t know Oscar prior to working for Vince, he was someone they had met during Wrestlemania 9 and kept his card.

GW: You won the WWF Tag Titles from The Quebecers (Jacques & Pierre) on March 29, 1994 in London England but lost the straps back to The Quebecers 2 days later (March 31, 1994) ... What was the reason for dropping the straps so soon?
M: The dropping of the straps so quickly really, I don`t know, but I can speculate that it was all political.

GW: What was your feelings when Mable started getting pushed as a single wrestler and they had you in his corner doing a manager gig instead of in the ring?
M: I was happy Mabel was getting a push, but I was miserable because I wanted to work. We all get in this business because we love it, and wanna perform, and that's what I wanted to do, perform. But I made the best of it.

GW: By this time I am pretty sure you are frustrated with the office by them having you just doing a manager gig?
M: I was highly depressed, and at one time contemplated suicide.

GW: Are you and Nelson on speaking terms?
M: Nelson and I still are friends. We talk periodically, our lives have just taken different paths, and we have different goals, and our futures are different now.

GW: What was the reason for your departure from the company?
M: Basically, Nelson and I got frustrated during Royal Rumble 96 weekend, and decided to just quit, and so we called JJ Dillon and gave him our notice. So contrary to popular opinion I was never fired or future endeavored from WWF. I walked away on my own terms, and never looked back.

GW: Where did you go after the WWF?
M: I went home to Tennessee, did a little independent work, but started my own promotion in Cookeville, Tennessee that I ran for more than 4 years.



GW: You returned back to Memphis under Randy Hales' Power Pro Wrestling this time going as Rob Harlem.. What made you decide to come back to Memphis?
M: I was sitting around the Carolinas at the time, bored and wanted to see if I could do it again. So I tagged up with my younger Brother Deon and so we went to Memphis and had a good little run there. Well until my brother lost his infant son, and decided not to travel to Memphis any longer.

GW: You teamed with Deon Harlem as The Regulators in Power Pro what was your thoughts on teaming with Deon?
M: Teaming with Deon was great we actually matched up really well with everyone we worked, and Deon has such good ring skills, it was easy, like a walk in the park.

GW: What did you think about the Power Pro-Memphis Championship Wrestling angle where both companies came together for a short stint to swipe out talent?
M: I didn`t like that angle. The MCW guys were all on Developmental deals, and so they only were concerned with getting themselves over. The talent at Power Pro was better at the time, and worked harder to put on a quality product, but got pushed to the side, and soon Power pro was gone.

GW: Why did you leave Power Pro?
M: Truthfully I left Power Pro because Randy Hales fired me, because I really ribbed on Derrick King and some of the other young guys like Brandon Baxter. But mostly I heard Spellbinder had problems with me. I think it`s funny, but nevertheless it`s still that same ole same ole. Politics.

GW: When Terry Golden's Memphis Championship Wrestling folded didn't you work under the MCW name for a bit?
M: I actually purchased the MCW name and ring from Golden, and sometime shortly after Golden stole the ring and stuff from me, and I had to sue him. Which I did and won my case in Jackson Tennessee.

GW: Is this where you left Tennessee and went back to The Carolinas or was you still booking DCW also?
M: I moved back to Tennessee during the power pro run, and started booking DCW.

GW: You worked for Dyersburg Championship Wrestling (DCW) for The Walkers as the booker what was it like working for The Walkers?
M: Initially working for the Walkers was great, but then it became a problem, and I don`t really wanna speak ill of them, because I loved Dale Walker like a father, but things just didn`t work out.

GW: The Walker's have been the major talk as far as news goes on losing talent and such around the Dyersburg area since the first of the year(2010)... What is your take on all the hoopla?
M: Well if they would just be honest with people, and not do back stabbing stuff. Like changing bookers on you, with out having a man to man conversation with you, or discussing money issues with you ahead of time, instead of waiting until they can`t pay you.

GW: What made you leave DCW as booker?
M: I left DCW because of personal reasons.

GW: In March of this year(2010) you had some serious health problems that required serious attention?
M: I had a tinkoff catheter placed in my abdomen. I have stage 4 renal disease, which requires a kidney transplant. I am currently on home dialysis 5 times a day 7 days a week. While waiting for a transplant.

GW: How are you handling those issues now?
M: At first I wanted to just lay down and die. I blamed God for doing this to me, wondering why me, all I`ve ever done was try to live a good life and treat people as I wanted to be treated. But after looking at the beautiful family and the life I`ve had, there's nothing for me to feel sorry for myself for.

GW: You just recently returned back to Tennessee to launch your new promotion Xplosive Championship Wrestling. Tell the readers a little about your plans for the company and what can people expect?
M: Xplosive Championship Wrestling is a part of the Xtreme Elite Sports Entertainment LLC Brand. It`s is just the beginning of a new era in professional wrestling. The Corporate office is in Franklin NC. The Pilot Taping for the first show is being taped in Newbern Tennessee because I believe that West Tennessee has some of the best talent in the business, that`s not getting a shot, and I want to try and open some doors for those guys I feel worthy. Look for some new and exciting things to happen in the West Tennessee area in the near future.

GW: What all names have you went under?
M: I`ve wrestled under several names, in this business you must constantly try to evolve, so in my evolution I`ve been Sir Mo, Mohammad, BJ Awesome, Rob Harlem, Marly Pride, for one show for Corey Maclin.

GW: What promotions have you worked for?
M: PWF,USWA,POWER PRO, MCW,DCW,MACW SOUTHERN EXTREME WRESTLING

GW: What titles have you held?
M: The only one that matters is the WWF Tag Team Championship.

GW: You have had a few partners in your career by far who was the best to work with?
M: Nelson Frazier was my partner, my best friend and my brother. But let it be known I loved working with Deon the Black Angel. But of all my parnters the best to work with was "All That" Alan Steele. Great talent, great guy. He has sound ring work, no nonsense out of the ring and doesn't have vices that would hindeer progression and is loyal.

GW: Who has been some of your toughest opponents?
M: Kevin Nash Shawn Michaels, Headshrinkers (Samu & Fatu)

GW: What are your thoughts on today's product?
M: Today's product goes with the times. Nothing wrong with it, it`s the era we`re in.

GW: I am pretty sure you have many road stories which one sticks out the most?
M: The one that I remember the most is, playing freeze out, coming from Louisville Kentucky one night, with PG-13(J.C. Ice & Wolfie D.) and Raven(Scott Levy).

GW: Do you see any breakout stars on the independents?
M: I do, but I don`t wanna name them, because I don`t wanna jinx them getting a chance. I may have heat out there, so for me to name someone and hurt there chances, I rather not, but if they don`t get that chance with WWE of TNA, then it will happen at Xplosive Championship Wrestling. Of yeah did I mention, this is not just gonna be another regional promotion

GW: Favorite hobbies?
M: Hobbies are playing with my kids.

GW: When your away from the ring how do you relax?
M: watching television (Law and Order)

GW: Are you married?
M: I`m currently engaged, been with the same woman now for more than 9 years, She`s my heart.

GW: What advice would you give anyone wanting to break into the business?
M: If you`re gonna pay someone to train you, please pay someone who`s been there and done that. Because there`s more to this business than just learning wrestling moves. If you don`t learn the business you will get eaten up and spit out like trash.

GW: Do you feel like the black race does not get the recognition as far as world championships goes?
M: I don`t think it`s a black and white thing as much as it`s a fan thing. Look at the audience, it`s not a large black demographic, so I don`t wanna suggest that it`s a black white thing.

GW: What do you feel like has killed the business to an extent?
M: The internet and dirt sheets would be the obvious answer, but in my opinion it`s, giving the fans Main Event Matches on TV and then expecting them to pay for the same thing on PPV.

GW: Would you ever go back to WWE?
M:I want say never, but only if the terms were clear, and written in black and white.

GW: What are your thoughts on the fans?
M: The fans make the business, but they don`t have the final say as people would hope. The promoters do.

GW: What are your future plans?
M: To be the next big wrestling promoter

GW: Any closing words?
M: thanks for taking the time to speak with me. To all the true wrestling fans out there please look for Xtreme Elite Sports Entertainment LLC.

GW: Bobby, on behalf of myself and RRO I want to thank you for your time, and wish you all the best in future endeavors.
M: Thanks!

photo credit: Bobby Horne collection

If you would like to help Bobby in this serious time of need you can do so at the following:

We have a fund set up, send your check or money order for $25 dollars, and you will receive an autographed picture and a t-shirt.

The address to send checks is
C/O Main Foundation
460 Depot St. PMB 120
Franklin NC 28734

picture: L to R: Mo, Oscar, & Mable (Men on a Mission reunion)