Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Thompson Perspective 4.27.08 By Brian Thompson

Welcome to another edition of The Thompson Perspective here at www.rronews.com. Usually I have one or two subjects that I "hammer" during a column, but this time around I'm just going to hit and miss a few things from the last week or two.

I want to apologize to anyone who probably heard most of this during last Monday's edition of "Shootin' the Shiznit" with Brian Tramel, Gene Jackson, Brian Logan & yours truly. I'm pretty much going to talk about some of the things we discussed there, maybe just a little more in-depth.

First of all, Bobby Eaton did ask me to pass along a big "thank you" to everyone who has shown concern for him in the last two weeks. I visited with him last weekend in Charlotte, NC and I can report that he is doing well and actually competed last night in the North Carolina area. Bobby and I are also looking to seal up some dates here in the Mid-South for later this year. I will be contacting local promoters within the next month concerning this. However, if you are interested and I don't contact you within the next month or if you want to go ahead and make sure that you are contacted, drop me an e-mail at bptbookings@yahoo.com and we'll discuss details.

For those of you who didn't listen to the radio show last week, man did you miss some fun conversation. I was impressed with Brian Logan. Again congrats to him on winning the current version of the AWA World Heavyweight Title. Is the AWA the same as it was in the old days? Of course not. Do I feel that the title is as valuable as it was at one time? Not quite. However, if Brian Logan will put pride and determination behind making the belt mean something, that is all that the AWA promoters can ask for.

I'll be honest. At first, I had mistaken Brian with another local worker with the name Brian. No not Brian Tramel, but another guy who'll remain nameless. This confused me and I was thinking, when did this guy start working for the AWA group in West Virginia? Then when Logan started talking about his Smokey Mountain days it dawned on me just who he was.

Finally, I will clarify some statements. I mentioned Scotty McKeever and his time in Smokey. However, I was informed this week that he actually only worked there maybe once. I think I confused his brief appearance with some time he spent in Ozark Mountain Wrestling for Bert Prenctice circa 1995. There was a fun promotion that, while it didn't have the world's best roster, made what talent it did have seem so important. I think someone locally could use the way Bert promoted in a presentation sense and incorporate that into shows successfully.

That's all for this edition.

I'll be back down the road with more thoughts on this crazy wrestling business.

Take care all.

(Brian Thompson may be reached by e-mail at bptbookings@yahoo.com)