Wednesday, November 07, 2007

FLASHBACK: October 8, 1998

----I was searching the net about various things about RIOT and found this gem. It was posted in the RSPW newsgroup in 1998. It was written by former RR zine write Rob Brownstein. He talks about all the guys he has met and even mentioned an infamous match I worked in Philly. Just how good was the BT Express?? Jim Cornette told me after the match, "As a wrestler, you are a good writer!! LOL

WRESTLERS I'VE MET by Rob Brownstein

-- Got an autographed signed by Salvatore Bellomo at a shopping mall autograph session on superbowl sunday 1984. Seemed like a nice guy. Asked me my name three times yet still addressed the autographed 8X10 to "Rober". At least he was nice enough to volunteer, or get paid next to nothing for the appearance. As a side note, about a week he was squashed by Kamala (MIA) at a Spectrum house show in under 3 minutes. To this day friends still insist on calling that fateful spelling error as the "Bellmo Curse".

-- Meet a few NWA wrestlers at the Philadelphia Marriott following
Halloween Havoc in 1989. Got Jim Ross' autograph (priceless indeed). I commented how I was a fan of his going back to the Mid-South days. He made a snide remark to the effect that "Yea, I remember that period as well". His devious smirk had "shut up idiot mark boy" written all over it. But at least he took the time to sign it.

-- Shook hands with greatness, the man, Ric Flair, the true god of
professional wrestling, at the Marriott as well. It was just for a few brief seconds, but he greeted everyone with a huge smile; all us marks who followed the guys over to the hotel from the Civic Center. One class act.

-- Lex Luger, kind of rudely rushed by carrying his bags, not stopping to greet fans. But I won't hold that against him, not when there is so much heavy baggage dealing with his work rate to weigh against him.

-- My mom got a phone call from Chris Cruise in 1990. Cruise had asked a friend in the tape business to compile a tape of Dan Spivey matches that Spivey had wanted. So I, along with two other tape traders, put together a 6hr Spivey retrospective. Cruise called my house on a Saturday to personally thank me, but just my luck I had baseball practice that after- noon. Sounded like a nice guy from what she told me.

-- Meet a ton of people in the business during my one brief moment of fame in the world of pro wrestling. I had the honor of working a 1990 benefit show put on by Dennis Coraluzzo for Tom Robinson; a huge fan from the philly area who was suffering from lupus at the time. We had several mutual friends and I got to manage "The Blade", a fellow sheet writer from NY, against BT Express, Brian Tramel, Memphis guru, friend, and editor of Rasslin Riot... It was a thrill of a lifetime, and the most wonderful part of the event was the spirit of everyone involved. Lots of big names were there, and all worked for free to raise money for Tom.

At that show:

-- I meet J.T. Smith, and other local indy guys who got a bit of a kick seeing a 5'10" non buffed teen share a locker room with them. But they were really friendly when they could have had fun at my expense.

-- Had Jerry Lawler ask if I could save some of the condoms I was carrying around as part of my gimmick for some of the boys later on. I was playing the role of a blind heel manager (hence, not really blind) named Marcus Cretin, a character I developed and wrote under in some sheets. I was decked out in a dark green trench coat, black Stetson hat, nasty boy shades, roos sneakers, argyle socks, no pants (just shorts) underneath, a thick walking cane, and a thick rope tied around my waist. The really odd thing about my get up was this was just weeks before The Undertaker
debut. This was 11/9/90, just two weeks before the Survivor Series. I am not delusional enough to believe Vince stole my bad fashion sense, but it's scary how I kinda, sorta, dressed like the Undertaker two weeks before his debut.... as part of the get up with a tin cup I carried around which contained spare change, a wrestling observer newsletter, a plastic rat, and about a half dozen condoms.... Jim Cornette did several double takes at me in the back and I was told that he cracked up watching a tape
of the match back at the hotel after the show... I was wandering around the ringside away, getting heckled by kids (who I threw a few condoms at), and I tried interfering once. When both guys were back in the corner I walked over to the ring post and whacked the iron ring post about 5 times. Got a nice pop, and Cornette was said to have really liked the gimmick..Hey Cornette, I'll work cheap. and take bumps (mail me)....

-- Met Dave Meltzer at the show, sat with him and his horde for a few matches... almost walked up to shake his hand, but couldn't muster the courage to approach The Guru; nice guy living a dream job.

Now for the highlight of my markdom.... The Funker, Terry Funk greeted me with a smile, said hello, and patted me on the shoulder as he walked past me in the locker room. One hell of a class act, and a true professional. Here I was, a mark, living out a dream, working a show to help out a friend, and at that very moment Mr. Funk was headed toward me he treated me like I was a peer. I was merely an 18 year old tape collecting, sheet writing, mark at heart, who never took a single bump in a ring (we had one scripted but we were given the signal to go to a quick finish) yet this man at the age of 45, with bad knees, hundreds of stitches, thousands of scars, bumps and bruises, treated a nobody in the business such as myself with the same dignity and respect he treated Mick Foley, Eddie Gilbert, Stan Lane, and everyone else in that dressing room who worked that show. Truly an unforgettable moment that shows just how great a professional, and how decent a human being Terry Funk is. Thank you Mr. Funk.

MET ANY FAMOUS WRESTLERS OR JUST THE LOCAL GUYS?? WANT TO TELL THE OTHER VISITORS HOW YOU WERE TREATED?? COMMENT ON THE MESSAGE BOARD!!