Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Inside" Wrestling Lingo - What is BT Saying??

Kayfabe, term used to describe the illusion (and up-keep of the illusion) that professional wrestling is not staged (i.e. that the on-screen situations between performers represent reality).[1] Also used by wrestlers as a signal to close ranks and stop discussing business due to an uninformed person arriving in earshot.[1] The term is said to have been loosely derived from the Pig Latin pronunciation of the word "fake" ("akefay").

----I was asked by one of the regular readers to post something about some of the terms that I use. When I started this site, I just started writing it in works/terms that I use every day when discussing wrestling. You got to remember I discuss wrestling with...95% of the time..wrestlers. Some of the old timers that read this site have joked to me about some of the things that I say, especially when I did the Psychology 101 piece. The words "shine" and "double down" are not even on the list I am presenting to you. And terms like "Bomb Scare" or "Popcorn Match" I have never heard. Just because you learn every one of these terms does not mean you are "inside" the business. Each group and mainly areas have their own lingo, which may not be even known by other areas of the country. BTW, I do know a few wrestlers that told me, that they didn't even know the meaning of "kayfabe" until I started my site. LOL

----I love this!!

Rasslin', refers to a Southern style of professional wrestling which emphasizes kayfabe and stiffness, with fewer squash matches and generally longer feuds. It was synonymous with the NWA-affiliated promotions. Rasslin' included TV tapings at smaller venues, as compared to the larger and more well-known arenas utilized by northern U.S. promotions such as the AWA and W(W)WF. The term is derived from a phonetic spelling of how the word "wrestling" sounds when spoken with a heavy Southern accent. It is also commonly used in a derogatory manner by non-Southern wrestling fans to describe that style of wrestling. When Ted Turner purchased Jim Crockett Promotions in 1988, he allegedly called Vince McMahon to tell him that he was now in the "rasslin'" business. McMahon allegedly differentiated his company's style by responding, "That's great, Ted. I'm in the entertainment business."

CLICK HERE for a complete list of wrestling terms.